Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
"I don't care what the cross-reference books say is correct plugs for 164 12v V6 engines they are usually wrong."

Just went to Amazon for the BPR7EIX (4055) and sure enough, they say does not fit my 164L.
Well here is what NGK sez:

1991 ALFA ROMEO 164 3.0 V6 FI L-MODEL

Spark Plug Part No. Stock No. Plug Gap Photo
Standard BPR7ES 5534 .025
Iridium IX BPR7EIX 4055 .025

·
Premium Member
26,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
ok steve, thanks :)
the platinum cost more so is it the better choice ?
It was OEM when car was built now we have Iridium which seems to be the latest and hopefully the greatest.

My only experience with platinum plugs have been Bosch ones and I found them to be a disappointment in my 12v V6 engines and Myron's old 24v 164.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Hard to understand why some of us had good luck with +4 and they didn't work at all for others...do figure. Anyway, Platinum is old technology now, time to move on to Iranians:)

·
Premium Member
13,991 Posts
It's not just the material of the electrodes. The iridium plugs that we are discussing have a small diameter center electrode. That is possible because iridium "wears" more slowly than other metals including platinum. A plug with a small diameter electrode will produce a more reliable spark under difficult conditions because it creates a stronger electric field - Gause's Law.

·
Registered
201 Posts
According to my mechanic these iriduim break apart, their porcelain disconnected from the body.
thats why i allwayes use this platinum pfr6b, never had problem.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
At least you only have to buy 6. I need 8!!! Ciao, jc

·
Registered
201 Posts
well you buy them in italy for less then 8 euro for 1.
here in israel 1 will cost you 20 euro
so i need to order them from italy or so and pay 25 euro for shipping and then 15% custom 15% tax.....so we are in same total price. :)

·
Premium Member
13,991 Posts
According to my mechanic these iriduim break apart, their porcelain disconnected from the body.
The set of Iridiums in my Acura have done 104k miles. They are due to be changed at 110K miles. I also have them in both my Alfas and my wife's Toyota and they have been trouble free. Your mechanic is not very well informed

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
thats why i allwayes use this platinum pfr6b, never had problem.
I just Googled "ngk iridium plug porcelain problems" and although I did not read through all 583,000 hits I found nothing on the first two pages that said anything about the problems your mechanic claims to exist.

I also work on airplanes and spark plugs are $100 each for fine wire electrode ($30 for massive electrode) and if you accidentally drop one it goes in the trash bin. Automotive plugs rarely see the care and attention while removed as these plugs do. They will be laying in a pile on the bench or on the fender or anywhere convenient and they get dropped a lot more often than you might think after which they get picked up and installed.

All arguments aside I just ordered a set of the BPR6EIX while getting my brake lines because I know for a fact that the plug wires on Red are just sitting on top of the plugs and are not seated properly. Yes it has been running okay but this fact has been in the back of my mind since I installed them - I knew something wasn't right.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Help me understand this. There are only two type of connection to the plug. The screw/thread type or old style such as what mine takes. Second, the standard curvy woman looking thing most commonly found. Is what you're saying Mr Paul is that there are two different sized second type? I understand what you are saying. Is the issue the plug, or the terminal in the end of the wire to your knowledge? Ciao, jc

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Ah yes, no code letter or number for that measurement, the curvy woman looking bit, although I think a woman with those curves in that sequence might not get a date....

Wonder if NGK has actually tried to fit the boots?

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
...Is the issue the plug, or the terminal in the end of the wire to your knowledge? Ciao, jc
Apparently the length of he plug because the connector should snap onto the plug at the same point where the cap touches the valve cover. In this case the cap is seated against the valve cover before the connector has fully snapped onto the plug terminal. It's making contact but you can just lift it out with one finger, it's not engaged.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Well here is what NGK sez:

1991 ALFA ROMEO 164 3.0 V6 FI L-MODEL

Spark Plug Part No. Stock No. Plug Gap Photo
Standard BPR7ES 5534 .025
Iridium IX BPR7EIX 4055 .025
Bought them anyway, of course I trust you more than Amazon.com

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
I sense the answer here but I'm throwing it out there to see what sticks. Trim the boots?

Just cause I'm rambling, I hate my screw tops for a variety of reasons. I've been off and on researching the plug to replace them with so as to have the curvy upside down woman looking thing taking up residence in my engine. So...doing this requires new wires which Summit can readily supply and in a color I can live with. One V8 set and I'm good to go. I'm also giving thought to just getting the kit and making them. This has been an interesting discussion thus far. Mr Tom thanx for the pic, it helps. Ciao, chris

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Thought so. This give you an idea of what living in Italy is like. One reason I like the thought of making my own is I can slide the boot as needed. I did this on my GTV and recall having a lot of fun making them and such. Good evening sir. Off to work.....ciao

·
Premium Member
26,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Are we still having fun?

·
Premium Member
15,851 Posts
Is interesting catch. Didn't know I could have problems using these plugs, although I don't. I don't see any reason not to try the 13/16 inch plugs in the S if the fit is theoretically better, although as I said, haven't noticed any actual drawbacks yet from the 5/8 inch version.

Hmmm, will have to check the Milano, as I might have the same plugs there as well, even though it starts and runs perfectly so far.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts