Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how many Alfas I've painted this color but I've forgot the number. The bright red which leans to a slight orange.

By correct I mean original and upholstery also includes the floor, tranny tunnel, etc.

Not that my client/self will necessarily go all original, but I'd just like to know the 'starting point'. My thinking is the floor's carpeted parts are/were black.

Any of you have - or had - a completely original bright red '58 Spider?

·
Premium Member
21,714 Posts
I had a July 58 750 Normale. Red paint, black seats and door panels, red carpets, black rubber mats. It was repainted, but was red from new, and interior was original if nasty. I can post some pics tomorrow. I'm rebuilding its engine now for its current owner.

Andrew

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Andrew, skiwalk, thanks for clarifying the colors. I was sure the carpet portion should be black, so good to know.

Andrew, if not too much trouble, I would like to see a couple of snaps of the interior.

This isn't the place to ask this question...but, when installing both a 1750 engine and five speed tranny which not only will make the shift lever opening over to the right like on 101's but also moves back? Should you know, I'd like to know how much farther back.

The only tie in to this thread is will I need to have the tranny tunnel carpet custom made.

·
Premium Member
21,714 Posts
A red 58 would look just like Joe Hart's Spider in terms of color and interior. Seats have some detail differences, the "coin collector" type most likely.

If it has a tunnel trans and the floor hasn't already been altered, it'll need changes to fit a five-speed. If it came with a split-case four-speed, five-speed shifter should sprout from the same location, but trans mount/crossmember will need editing.

Change was end of summer 1958 I think. My July car was tunnel case, my December car is split case. Floor/tunnel and thus carpet is quite different.

Andrew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts