Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!
Been searching for a while and I keep finding these different hp figures for a 1300 Junior. All these engines are the same right? On my registration paper I find 74kw/about 100hp , but on the internet I find as well 74kw as 64kw/about 88hp. Which is correct? Or are there differences? It’s a 1970 stepfront 1300.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
The lower number is correct for a stock 1300 ....

Giulia Super 1600 had 103hp at the time, a few extra in the GT ...

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
Hi there!
Been searching for a while and I keep finding these different hp figures for a 1300 Junior. All these engines are the same right? On my registration paper I find 74kw/about 100hp , but on the internet I find as well 74kw as 64kw/about 88hp. Which is correct? Or are there differences? It’s a 1970 stepfront 1300.
It's all about what measuring stick is used.. SAE (gross HP) or DIN (net HP) .. The SAE measure was commonly the standard, used from the beginning giving a higher rating ... which helped sell cars in the US and American manufacturers clung to it as long as they could . Europeans, on the other hand, were penalized with taxes based on higher a HP rating. Through a German measurement , DIN, the industry found a way to understate the SAE figure for the benefit of the tax payer in the name of more accuracy. The manual on your car dated 11/69 still refers tp 103 SAE. In your registration papers, it is conceivable the registration bureau arbitrarily and mathematically converted SAE to DIN with some rounding (arbitrary part) of the figures. Perhaps the attached will help you sort it out. All the cars from before the early 70's were rated SAE, European included.. Then the DIN measures were gradually universally adopted from then on. The German Way: DIN Horsepower Ratings > Ate Up With Motor

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
You are welcome... An interesting side note.....Alfa tried to equalize the performance of the 1300 with the 1600 with some innovative tweaks later on starting in your case with an over-square engine with a shorter stroke than the 1600 thus providing a higher red line and a a free'er revving engine. It wasn't just left to differences in bore (displacement) .. Moving into the 70's on the 1.3 Super, they further changed the gear box ratios and the differential ratios (9/43) to add to the shorter stroked engine .. The result is a wonderful combination that fools folks who drive my '72 Super 1.3 into thinking it is powered with a 1600. The 105/1300 engine is a masterpiece folks just can't wait to replace with ubiquitous 1750's and 2000's when they get their hands on them. It just takes a different right foot pressure and technique to extract more enjoyment out of the 1.3 that is exhilarating. I've owned my Super for going on 30 years and passed through many other more valuable Alfas ( and a Fulvia) including a '69 GT Junior which was too pristine to drive and keep so pristine... show quality has it's liabilities..and the Super 1.3 remains my most cherished car. As they say .. keep the revs up and you will have a blast.

·
Premium Member
16,700 Posts
As a reference, I remember that the manual and sales brochure for my 64 Sprint GT mentioned 122 hp for that 1600 (1570?).

·
Premium Member
5,745 Posts
You are welcome... An interesting side note.....Alfa tried to equalize the performance of the 1300 with the 1600 with some innovative tweaks later on starting in your case with an over-square engine with a shorter stroke than the 1600 thus providing a higher red line and a a free'er revving engine. It wasn't just left to differences in bore (displacement) .. Moving into the 70's on the 1.3 Super, they further changed the gear box ratios and the differential ratios (9/43) to add to the shorter stroked engine .. The result is a wonderful combination that fools folks who drive my '72 Super 1.3 into thinking it is powered with a 1600. The 105/1300 engine is a masterpiece folks just can't wait to replace with ubiquitous 1750's and 2000's when they get their hands on them. It just takes a different right foot pressure and technique to extract more enjoyment out of the 1.3 that is exhilarating. I've owned my Super for going on 30 years and passed through many other more valuable Alfas ( and a Fulvia) including a '69 GT Junior which was too pristine to drive and keep so pristine... show quality has it's liabilities..and the Super 1.3 remains my most cherished car. As they say .. keep the revs up and you will have a blast.

An older friend who drove his junior regularly for probably 30 years (in preference to his Milano and Montreal) pointed out that the 1300 taught him to be a real driver...

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
An older friend who drove his junior regularly for probably 30 years (in preference to his Milano and Montreal) pointed out that the 1300 taught him to be a real driver...
Yep, we competed in a '69 GT Junior back in the late 80's. Standard engine, we learnt very quickly to never slow down :). You can see I didn't from the state of the tyres....

·
Premium Member
16,700 Posts
"we learnt very quickly to never slow down"

Yup, even my 64 Sprint GT was almost the same. It was really true for my 60's Minis (real Minis), which could outhandle anything on the road, up to a certain speed of course.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts