Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,965 Posts
I believe they would something similar to the Carello Bilux units, with a right hand drive pattern. The ones pictured are dual bulb units that could be used to upgrade the low output units that came with the car, but AFAIK were not delivered as stock items.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Jonno

My UK model 67 Sprint GTV has Carello 08.480.700 Headlights fitted. I'm pretty sure they are the originals, as I'm only the second owner and I've had it since the mid 80's. Hard to find NOS though. I've got Cibies on it at the moment, as they give better lighting performance with higher wattage H4 bulbs. That said, they are pretty hard to find in RHD now also. See picture below of the Carellos from when it was in storage.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

P1010737.JPG

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Yes, the last ones pictured are correct. Cursive script Carello. 08 prefix means RHD

Reactions: cucinando

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Carello lens number 08.480.700 & body number 08.481.800 are not correct then? Would they fit even if not 100% correct?

·
Registered
340 Posts
If you look closely at the picture of the old Carello headlight deemed as RHD you can see the part number starts with 08. It seems a bit odd the LHD Carello part number in the parts manual starts with 08?
Tim

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My RHD car has the separate Carello mounting rings which have 3 locating holes.

·
Registered
340 Posts
As already outlined RHD Carello headlights for the Stepnose coupe are now unobtainum, you can buy similar style but no name on the lenses. Buying those ones in your post would work with some adaptation and extra wiring but would not be factory correct.
Tim

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As already outlined RHD Carello headlights for the Stepnose coupe are now unobtainum, you can buy similar style but no name on the lenses. Buying those ones in your post would work with some adaptation and extra wiring but would not be factory correct.
Tim
Thanks - Extra wiring? At the moment the car has CIBIE lights, with a single bulb.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
It should only have a single twin filament bulb for the dip/main beam, obviously these cars have separate side lights.

07. prefix is LHD, 08. RHD,

Ossodiseppia is right that the Carello numbering system gives a different assembly number for the complete Headlight unit but what you are most likely to see referenced is the number on the front of the glass. It's all in the Factory Parts Book.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Hi Jonno1,

You definitely have to check the number on the back.
The 08.480.816, the units with the 3 bridges + separate ring with 3 holes that you have, were changed in august 1969 for the 08.481.816, that are the ones that you can see in post # 9 and #10
In my opinion, both the glasses of the 480 and 481 units would have the same number: # 08.480.700
The 08.481.816 units can't be mounted straight away on your car because of your 480 buckets, so be aware that when buying the 08.481.816, you have to change also other parts on the car.

Be happy that you have the old system with 'back number' 480, that is a rather universal fixing method, the 481 is specific for Alfa.
Therefore don't trow your old units away, maybe you will need to recuperate the RHD 08 prefix glasses to glue them in new repro reflectors that have the 3 bridges system.
I'm even not sure that 08 units are reproduced.

If you go for the units in post 1, that would be possible as they have the same system with the 3 bridges like yours.
Normally thy are expensive (( Ferrari stuff !) Check the prefix 08. The 07 prefix is for LHD
As already mentioned in other posts Indeed you need to adapt here the wiring and the connectors, and (!) they should be used with a relais !!

Rgds,

Thierry

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
Exhausted (post #8): The parts manual extract in post #6 states ‘LH rule of road’ not LHD. Therefore for RHD cars with LH rule of road (driving on left).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts