Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an '87 Veloce. Radiator shop technician said that the fan looked to far up into the fan shroud which would reduce the fan's effectiveness. The fan is from I.A.P. Any thoughts on this? Are the replacement fans one size fits all types of models? If someone out there in ALFA land could post a photo of their fan I could then make a comparsion. I can't post mine because MY CAMERA IS MISSING! (caps are for my wife)

Thanks,
pjn

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
One nylon fan.....(except for Euro model, smaller and less cool effect)
If you got it fron IAP it is correct.
Perhaps the rad guy was warning you that the fan blades are getting close to the shroud...that means your motor mounts need replacing, before the fan strikes the shroud and busts up like shrapnel.
Elio

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
There is Euro style and US style.
Euro style has thinner blades, US style has squarer blades with more surface area.
Both are the same outside OD AFAIK.

Fan too far up?
As in sitting high in the hole?

Check the gap around the shroud and fan. It's relatively even at least from 9 o'clock through 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock.

If it actually is too high, then either the trans mount is sagging badly or the radiator is missing its support cushion and has dropped down.

Most of the time the issue is the fan riding low due to roached engine mounts letting everything sag 'til the fan bashes the bottom of the shroud and explodes, not the other way around.

Informatively:
A fan will work better if a shroud or skimmer comes reasonably close to the ends of the tips.
There's less bypassed air, and less turbulence which results in the fan being easier to spin in general with no loss of CFM flow.
To say the fan is losing effectiveness due to a closer proximity of the shroud would be incorrect.

Alternatively, if the fan is riding high in the shroud, then its got more access to the hottest area of the radiator, again making it slightly more effective than if it were shoved low. :shrug:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I meant was the fan is forward. The fan is completely surronded by the shrould cover. Is the fan too far forward?

pjn

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
The fan flange that bolts to the waterpump is not in the center of the fan; it is offset toward the front. If the fan is installed backwards, the blades will be further forward than intended. Can you post a picture or two?

EDIT: Found a pic. Note the position of the fan in relation to the shroud.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,516 Posts
If you have photos on an on-line picture hosting site you can include a link to it. Copy the 'address' of the on-line photo and paste it here.

If you have photos saved to your computer follow the instructions below. Note that the photos will work best if they are about 40-60 KB or about 400 X600 pixels in size. Most photo editing programs have a way to re-size or compress photos if needed.

Note: use the 'new reply' button, not the 'quick reply' text box.

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
Looks like the blades are angled in the proper direction. On my '73 Spider, the back side of the blades are roughly flush with the edge of the sides of the shroud; in other words fully inside the shroud.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
When I installed an electric fan on a previous spider the instructions said to use the fan as a pusher, reverse the fan blade.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
On an electric fan the blades were still orientated the same way regardless of which side was forward making it just a matter of which rotational direction they were spun by the motor. Spin it one way it pulls, spin it the other way it pushes.
Flopping the unit over achieves the rotation reversal.

The mechanical fan in the 87 doesn't have that option and can only spin in one direction regardless of fan orientation.
This results in it always being a puller with one way being more CFM optimized and the other not so much but still functional.

·
Registered
296 Posts
My '87 looks just like the top photo from papajam. You should be able to see about 7mm of the aluminum spacer behind the fan hub. If you reverse the fan, the blades contact the AC belt, I tried. PJN, your water pump pulley looks different than ours, don't see the spacer. Maybe a non-AC version?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did replace the water pump. Ordered it from IAP. It does have airconditioning. I don't remember a spacer. I'm in the process of putting in a new radiator. The problem is that the engine overheats when the airconditioning is used. Right now it doesn't cool because of a refrigerant leak. But why fix it if the car overheats when it is used? So I am trying to get the cooling system taken care of first and then the airconditioning. What about this spacer? Should I be worried? Right now the space between the fan and waterpump is 1 and 1/4 inches. Why all this concern? I live in the Phoenix area where under a 100 degrees is considered below normal.

pjn

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I remember several years ago I was helping a friend with a 75 spider. He was having cooling problems with the fan and it appeared the fan was not situated correctly in the shroud. I discovered he had the wrong spacer on the water pump. At the time I wasn't aware of spacer differences but we found the correct one (I don't remember if it was shorter or longer) and fixed the problem. So from that experience I believe there is more than on size spacer for the fan--how many I don't know. Is the Berlina different? Are AC cars different than non AC? I don't know but I did find at least 2 different sizes--.

Comment on fan types--As far as using the early small fan--I wouldn't. When my late model fan on my 68 started scaring me, I replaced it with the correct early model fan. I now run a little hotter in traffic--I'll change to a late model fan when the time comes

1 - 18 of 18 Posts