Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
I connected a 12V light to the pins on the connector to the injector. I am NOT getting voltage on the connector.
Just to confirm, test the injector pin voltage with key on and with one test light lead connected to ground. Testing with the test light pin to pin will show zero voltage since both wires should have +12VDC with key on engine off.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thanks papajam. I will check to see if both pins have 12V with the key off and then test correctly with the key on.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
13.94V at the battery. Made sure my ground lead was good. No voltage on either harness pin with key OFF. Connected test light. One lead on one pin of harness connector one lead to ground. Key ON - light ON. Same thing with the other pin. But no voltage on either pin with key OFF.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Normal!
It means that the power supply to the injectors, and the main relay that supplies it, are functioning as designed.
On to the next thing...…

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I have 2.6 ohms on the injector. One more fuel test that ghnl suggested. I bumped the engine over to get the #4 cylinder intake valve open. Then I turned the key on-off-on-off-on-off which I think will cycle the fuel pump. I applied 12V + and - to the injector while looking in the cylinder and did not see any squirts from the injector. Probably all the same.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Well sloboy89 and spiderserie4 suggested that the 15 year old fuel has the injectors clogged and everything I've done so far points to that. I'm going to remove the plenum to get access to the injectors and replace them. I'm asking for advice on what brand injectors to buy and the best place to get them. It looks like Bosch are the most expensive but I hope there's a less expensive alternative that Alfas like. Thanks

·
Administrator
16,423 Posts
If the injectors all pass the ohm test (meaning the internal coils are likely good) then I'd suggest sending to a place like Cruizin Performance for service. They test them, clean them with solvents in an ultrasonic bath, cycle the solvent through them and re-test them. They'll come back as good as new.

Replace the short hoses and the rubber seals. Note: do not lose the phenolic caps - they are NLA.

Note the shop manual instructions for removing the fuel hoses - what they call a 'welder' we'd call a soldering iron. This is to melt through the old hose and not use a knife - the knife could nick the hose barbs and allow a leak. These short hoses are 7.5mm ID - not a common size (1/4" is too small, 5/16" is too big). I've bought the proper FI hose from the usual Alfa suppliers and also from a VW web site. Also, don't lose the cup shaped washers (#3) - these keep the ends of the hoses from ballooning out.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
IT'S ALIVE! The Spider is running after approx 15 years. I sent the injectors and cold start injector to Cruzin Performance. Rich did an amazing job cleaning them and installing new hoses. He said it took hours of cleaning to get the cold start injector unclogged. The other injectors weren't much better. I can't say enough about how good Cruzin Performance is! I cleaned the throttle body and plenum. I also replaced the intake sleeves with new ones from Centerline. It took a few tries, but after a few hiccups it got fuel and fired up. The idle is high (2000 rpm) but I have new hoses from Hi Performance that I want to install before messing with the idle. Oil pressure is 80 + -. The temp sits right under 180. Thanks for all the suggestions I got and for your patience. Final outcome looks like injectors and the timing sensor. Now it's onto the other mechanical stuff and cleanup.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
Brilliant, well done!

the high idle might be partly due to the O-ring under the idle speed adjuster, even if not, replace that per se, as its probably rock hard after 15 years.
It looks like a small fat donut!
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/8273874-post2.html

(photo courtesy hi-performance l-jet diagnostics document)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Great news, I had been following and understand your frustration. Our '85 spider was plagued with a similar circumstance, but was a victim of hurricane Sandy in 2012. I ended up converting to Webers. You are more patient than me. Again, hats off to a job well done.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts