Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering as I had never really noticed before.

With the early cars that have the cross over ducting setup, there seems to be 2 types of ducting.

1. The first type appears to be a 'full oval' type. As can be purchased from a number of suppliers, like this (Credit for the photo Anfanuts - first one I could find!),

2. This type seems to have defined 'sides' so is somewhat 4 sided, as follows,

Is anyone of them more correct than the other?

I have looked at various books, brochures etc. but the pics aren't clear enough to determine what was used originally.

Anyone have "original" pics or low mileage cars to check?

Knowing Alfa they could both be valid perhaps different suppliers etc.

Cheers,

Paul.

Attachments

·
Registered
759 Posts
Don't have anything to support this, other than noodling, but here's what seems to me like a reasonable explanation:

The "duct", or hose, as Alfa calls it, has to be oval at either end, since it connects to an oval at both the air filter housing and the carb plenum cover. Furthermore, the valve cover is cast to accommodate an oval shape, not rectangular.

My guess is that the flat-sided hose in the photo was simply an oval hose that was mishandled: stuffed into a box, partly crushed, etc..

They're oval.

Now, your next question should be "Did Alfa originally use both black and brown cross-over hoses?"

Have fun!

Chuck

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chuck... yes part 2 - what colours did they come in!!

As far as the ducting goes, unfortunately its not a matter of 'out of shape' or packaging etc. they are definately made that way. The bottom photo is of my Berlina (59k original miles) and as far as I can tell that is the original piece although I can't confirm that hence the question via this thread. Most of the suppliers have the straight oval shape but the slab sided one is available too.

I have included some pics of whats out there.....

Attachments

·
Registered
759 Posts
Next time I keep my mouth shut... :oops:

If they're making them with the slab sides and you think your car came that way, then I'd stick with a slab-sided hose and enjoy all the questions that'll come with it!

I've seen a couple of cars with a brownish/khaki colored hose, but just a couple. No more dumb guesses... :whistling:

Chuck

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No problems Chuck.... its no big deal.... It just caught me eye and then you get curious.

I have trawled through magazine pics and books etc. and most times due to the b&w pics and the badly lit engine bay its just too hard to tell. I have one 'diagram' in one of the Alfa books that kind of shows the oval type but its a 'drawing' so maybe some poetic licence etc.

As mentioned I "think" mine is original but the car is over 45 years old so who knows whats happened to it during the years.

Anyone out there got any factory pics of a GT, GTV, Super, S1 1750 that shows it clearly?

Cheers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts