Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm sure this has been covered but my poor searching skills couldn't find it, so please indulge me.

I want to redo the wheels on my Giulietta SS and need to know what is the correct silver? Ideally I'd powder coat them, but not sure how many choices of silver there are in powder coating. Mine were badly redone at some point so I can't use them as reference for the correct silver

Thoughts?
Thanks for any help!

·
Administrator
3,988 Posts
Trust me, this can of worms has be re-hashed many many times............there is no actual paint code for wheels, they are simply painted in "Argento" or silver

Years later after many queries to the archives from restorers and owners in the '70's and '80's, the Archives attached a generic silver code for Argento, from memory it was AR003, but there is no colour chip or swatch of this colour as Alfa never actually made or painted the wheels themselves, rather, (in the case of 750/101), they were made by at least 2 different suppliers (Fergat & Borrani) and each of those batch-bought 'Argento" paint from their respective supplier at the cheapest possible prices & the same with the primers that they each used. 2 coats of paint or 3 does makes a difference to final colour.......

That said, on Christopher Boles' "Veloce Register" website there is a discussion on wheel colour - see here - VELOCE REGISTER TABLE OF CONTENTS, click on paint Codes, all models, then click on the Paint Code Page link on the top right, now click on the Steel Wheel Paint Colour link in the middle of the page which will take you to the final link at the bottom of the page = "a further discussion on wheel colouring'

The final consensus is BMW Polaris Silver, I've used 'Fine Silver' for many years, it's the same generic colour used for wire wheels and it looks very 'period' for our cars.

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I second that! Thank you for the referral. This discussion on the website is a compilation of a few thoughts all written up as one article. As there are as many shades of silver as there are white, if you could find an original wheel it would have a green tinge to it, hence the Argento label. For most about anyone else, if you went with BMW Polaris Silver you would be as close as you could get to the real deal.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, thanks so much for the quick response! Now I can go ahead and clean up my wheels.

Greig - What do you mean by "Fine Silver"? Is that a rattle can color? Who by?

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
11,210 Posts
Ideally I'd powder coat them, but not sure how many choices of silver there are in powder coating.
Oh, probably no more than a dozen!

"Fine silver" and "Polaris silver" are sort of a bright silver - not sort of grey, brown, or gold. My powder coater had a color called "German wheel silver" that worked well for me - of course, I was finishing BMW wheels at that time - but the shade would have been about right for an Alfa as well.

·
Administrator
3,988 Posts
Yes the silver's are all metallic - gives that sparkle

Fine silver is the generic term for wheel silver at my local paint supplier, as Jay said it's a light bright silver colour without being "over the top" and in your face bright like a "chrome silver"

I've tried all the rattle cans for a period silver and the closest I've found here is actually Rust Oleum's Metallic Matte Nickel which gives a muted colour and while a touch darker than I'd like, it did sterling service on a set of wheels just before a car show.

If you are doing the wheels from scratch, then BMW Polaris Silver is your answer

Ciao
Greig

1 - 8 of 8 Posts