Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just the other day My friend decided it was time to yank the engine out of his 92 164s and give it new rings and gaskets as it was acting like quite the air pump when running. We are also working to address the cooling issues that he experienced this summer. In portland we consistently get a month or so worth of 90+ days and It got very warm a few times and was having trouble keeping its cool in the heavy Portland traffic. From what has been found so far it appears this car has had repeat issues since new (multiple dealer service records for fans and relays), during disassembly we found the low speed resistor has just been bypassed by crimping the two wires together so my guess is theres a relay issue. At this point we are looking at options to fit a much beefier all aluminum radiator and a modern large fan with a standalone controller to completely bypass the "lovely" 90s Italian wiring. If anyone has done something similar, or if theres a good cost effective drop in, please speak up. I'm not afraid of fab work and have the equipment to make just about whatever bracketry would be required. I will also be wrapping the headers and fabricating heatshield for the headers and exhuast to attempt to control underhood temps a little bit more. Honestly i'm amazed at how wimpy the radiator in this things is, its significantly smaller than most 4 cyl radiators ive been around and this thing is like trying to contain a nuclear blast with a napkin.
Cheers, Brennan

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
We had a 164LS, the 24 valve engine, for 7 years. No doubt it had a bigger radiator than the 12 valve, but I never liked how hot it was designed to run, and it generated a lot of heat anyway, so I put a manually adjustable fan control on it to cycle the fans more often. Other than that, no issues-- I just made sure the relays and fuses were clean and doing their job. BTW when was the last time he had that OE radiator cleaned out by a competent shop? That did wonders for my son's GTV 6.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we have never done it but the service records indicate it had a full flush and radiator cleaning within the year of him buying it, however i have noticed during disassembly that the lower return pipes and other low spots have collected what appears to be carbon based sludge so im pointing my fingers at a headgasket on the verge of failing. The reason we are pursuing a major upgrade is that he intends to drive the car in a rather spirited matter (the occasional grudge night at the drag strip and autocross) so a bigger radiator is of an order. at the very least we are going to install a mishimoto fan controller and a dual fan if it fits. the traffic is just so crap around here we aren't taking any chances

·
Premium Member
9,697 Posts
Just the other day My friend decided it was time to yank the engine out of his 92 164s and give it new rings and gaskets as it was acting like quite the air pump when running. We are also working to address the cooling issues that he experienced this summer. In portland we consistently get a month or so worth of 90+ days and It got very warm a few times and was having trouble keeping its cool in the heavy Portland traffic. From what has been found so far it appears this car has had repeat issues since new (multiple dealer service records for fans and relays), during disassembly we found the low speed resistor has just been bypassed by crimping the two wires together so my guess is theres a relay issue. At this point we are looking at options to fit a much beefier all aluminum radiator and a modern large fan with a standalone controller to completely bypass the "lovely" 90s Italian wiring. If anyone has done something similar, or if theres a good cost effective drop in, please speak up. I'm not afraid of fab work and have the equipment to make just about whatever bracketry would be required. I will also be wrapping the headers and fabricating heatshield for the headers and exhuast to attempt to control underhood temps a little bit more. Honestly i'm amazed at how wimpy the radiator in this things is, its significantly smaller than most 4 cyl radiators ive been around and this thing is like trying to contain a nuclear blast with a napkin.
Cheers, Brennan
Look. I have had no issues with overheating in Phoenix for 10+ years of living there. Few things. Fix and upgrade all the factory wiring. Wire the car as it came from the factory. Do not bypass, do not add a toggle switch or lower radiator fan switch etc... and so on.

Wiring back to stock, using resistor(in stock) and either single fan or dual Q4 fans with aluminum radiator (special order) is all you need. Replace your fan switch if needed. Use 50/50 distilled water with coolant (I used Fuchs Fricofin Coolant). N

I never got overheated sitting in traffic with A/C blasting. Fan worked properly. I prefer the dual fan too. Spreads the cooling over a wider area.

Aluminum radiator is 2" thick. You might even go with larger 24V version in the 1992S.

Let me know if I can help. Oh, the only thing I wired up was an after run fan but honestly not worth the effort.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Two speed radiator fan is controlled by that resistor. The high speed fan only cuts in at higher coolant temperature. Replace the resistor with a new one and all will be well. Engine will run fine at the hotter temperature anyway. People worry unnecessarily about engines running hot. The hotter the engine runs the more efficient it becomes because less heat energy is rejected into the cooling system. Standard thermostat opens at 89C and high speed cooling fan only kicks in at 100C or something like that.

·
Premium Member
9,697 Posts
Two speed radiator fan is controlled by that resistor. The high speed fan only cuts in at higher coolant temperature. Replace the resistor with a new one and all will be well. Engine will run fine at the hotter temperature anyway. People worry unnecessarily about engines running hot. The hotter the engine runs the more efficient it becomes because less heat energy is rejected into the cooling system. Standard thermostat opens at 89C and high speed cooling fan only kicks in at 100C or something like that.
Yes, I agree with this. Let's also remember that the wiring resistance in some of these cars have been known to cause the gauge to read higher than it really is. The stock cooling system is very good, Italy is HOT, so it was made for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts