Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a small leak from this cooling hose (to heater) nut and have been trying to unscrew it to clean and change the metal shims/gaskets but it wont budge.
Well today i finally thought I'd hit the socket wrench handle with a heavy hammer a few times to get it to move a little... What an idiot !!! I ended up breaking it. I guess I can drill out the remaining piece in the aluminium casting but I have not been able to find a replacement on any of our favorite vendor sites.
Where can I find a replacement part .. Help !!!

Roland

Attachments

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
If no-one else comes up with naything, you might try some of the carburettor shops/vendors as a lot of them use a simular style banjo bolt for feed lines. (hey, you never know, they might have one right on the shelf that's the right size)

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Roland -
I have one off of a 1750 manifold. I think they're the same. This one is .624 inches in diameter (16mm?) with a thread pitch of 1.5

If you want it, I'll drop it in the mail to you. PM me a mailing address or call me on SKYPE. If you need it right away, you could probably get a stock 16mm bolt and drill the center out, then another hole through the sides. A machine shop could easily do that . . . provided you could find a 16mm bolt.

With regards to extracting the threaded piece still in there, that's probably going to take some soaking with penetrating oil an "easy-out" extractor. If you have problems finding an easy-out over there, I can put one in the package as well. The other option is to take the manifold off and take it to a machine shop for them to extract. Actually, that's probably what I'd do so I didn't damage the manifold. Is the broken piece pretty well corroded in there? If you have to drill it out, you're going to have to tap it and heli-coil it back to 16mm

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,629 Posts
Hey, John - that is a wonderful thing for you to do! That is what makes this BB worthy of our support (donations).

Roland - what ever you decide to do, make sure to use some 'anti-sieze' on those threads when you put it back together. Some future mechanic (maybe even you!) will appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
If the hole in the manifold does not survive the bolt extraction, you could always tap the hole for pipe threads. Heater hose fittings with pipe threads are very common here and I would think that they would be common over there.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cooling

Thank you all... I found a temporary solution... Think it should hold.
I put copper washers. There was a broken washer on bottom that was causing the leak. Also the bolt was very rusted and I had to saw it (vertically in the hole) to get it out .. what a pain !

Roadtrip, thank you very much for your offer. I might take you up on it if it does not hold. Looks good for now (had a different bolt machined).

Now I'm back to trying to tune my engine !! (see other post)

Merci ! to you all once again.

Roland

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
This is what I have done to replace mine -

They are all Goodridge fittings part# GOODRIDGE GLOBAL | Home

3/4 x 16 thread to 1/2 hose fitting, push fit hose end - 536-1018

Banjo 16mm to 3/4 x 16 nipple - 776-08-M16

Banjo 16x1.25mm bolt - 992-06-M162

and of course, two 16mm crush copper washer

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fitting

Great info. And where where you able to order that stuff ? Not directly to Goodridge ? Through a local distibutor ? Are they OEM suppliers or also do retail ?

Roland

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I have one off of a 1750 manifold. I think they're the same. This one is .624 inches in diameter (16mm?) with a thread pitch of 1.5
Is it possible for Alfa to use different thread on differen manifolds?
I am looking at Roadtrip's picture, and it's quite clear that banjo bolt has a coarser thread than the one off my 73 2000 SPICA. Mine is 16x1.25, just doubled checked with my caliper.

If you need a banjo bolt that is 16x1.5, the part number is

992-06-M16

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I stand corrected.

It is 992-06-M16, M16x1.5

Whoever wrote me the invoice got it wrong.

Is it possible for Alfa to use different thread on differen manifolds?
I am looking at Roadtrip's picture, and it's quite clear that banjo bolt has a coarser thread than the one off my 73 2000 SPICA. Mine is 16x1.25, just doubled checked with my caliper.

If you need a banjo bolt that is 16x1.5, the part number is

992-06-M16

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had to replace the radiator on my 74 Spider and found that there were no washers on the banjo bolt for the heater hose. I've got the correct new copper washers, but cannot find a torque spec.

Any suggestions?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts