Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Alfa-people!

Well, yet another question (yes i did make a search in the forum, but no thread that really answered my questions).

1) This is my current setup. Handmade carbon-trumpets by previous owner, covered with pipercross-socks:

2) I still have all original parts for the car, including the standard "cool-air-through-filter"-thingy (sorry don't know proper english word?) (not my car, but same year and model):

3) Now i've been getting interrested in meshed, angled GTA-trumpets, well like Alfaholics supply, and i have a local dealer who sells them aswell:

Now the dealer i talked to said this: "You get the looks for shows and you get a nice sound out of it, but its not good performancewise, since you'll only be feeding the carbs with hot air. For performance you should have a airhose with a big "connector" that supplies air from the front of the car, directly to the carbs. Second option, get a big fat hose from the front and point it towards the carbs!" (Kind of correct translation)

4) Maybe something like this (a Alfaholics Junior 1600):

So, what do you guys say about this? I'm not going for a full performance tuneup of the car! Just want it to run good and no i havent had any problems with overheating or anything.

1) Is the hose pictured on the last pic available to buy anywhere?
2) What is the proper word for the thing that is ontop of the engine, the flat round filterthing with a hose attached to it?

Any advice is much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
10,623 Posts
"You get the looks for shows and you get a nice sound out of it, but its not good ...., since you'll ......
....be sucking leaves, sand, and small parts into your engine"

Forget the performance issues - the difference between warm air intake and cold is only relevant if you are going to be racing. On the street, you won't feel the difference. But unless rebuilding your engine every several thousand miles is your idea of fun, you should have filters on your air intake. Since race engines do get rebuilt regularly, they can get away without filters.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Came to say what Alfajay has already said. Those screens atop the velocity stacks look cool but don't keep out grit and dirt (or anything smaller than a bird, really). Zero protection for your engine. You will need socks on them like the Pipercross filters you already have or at least some kind of filter. My Spider was originally a SPICA car and when the P.O. converted it to Webers he put K&N's on. I decided to go with a stock European-stock airbox which uses a cold air intake from the grill. The performance change wasn't really noticeable but the noise-reduction was huge. You probably wouldn't notice that as much in a closed car but in the Spider it made a shocking difference. If you like the sound of your engine now, the airbox will be too quiet for you.

If you don't mind the intake noise reduction you might consider one of the later airboxes that doesn't cross the top of the engine.

They pull plenty of air, and it's cold. You might have to make some modifications to the snorkel to get it to work. Still, it's not as sexy as those beautiful trumpets.

For that matter you could just buy a cold air intake kit from eBay and feed outside air to the trumpets. They're not expensive.

Look at this on eBay and you can get some ideas.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=171234945772

Multi-Combined Aluminium 3 inch Cold Air Intake System Pipe + Filter Kit

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Came to say what Alfajay has already said. Those screens atop the velocity stacks look cool but don't keep out grit and dirt (or anything smaller than a bird, really). Zero protection for your engine. You will need socks on them like the Pipercross filters you already have or at least some kind of filter. My Spider was originally a SPICA car and when the P.O. converted it to Webers he put K&N's on. I decided to go with a stock European-stock airbox which uses a cold air intake from the grill. The performance change wasn't really noticeable but the noise-reduction was huge. You probably wouldn't notice that as much in a closed car but in the Spider it made a shocking difference. If you like the sound of your engine now, the airbox will be too quiet for you.

If you don't mind the intake noise reduction you might consider one of the later airboxes that doesn't cross the top of the engine.

They pull plenty of air, and it's cold. You might have to make some modifications to the snorkel to get it to work. Still, it's not as sexy as those beautiful trumpets.

For that matter you could just buy a cold air intake kit from eBay and feed outside air to the trumpets. They're not expensive.

Look at this on eBay and you can get some ideas.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=171234945772

Multi-Combined Aluminium 3 inch Cold Air Intake System Pipe + Filter Kit
Thank you for good advice and ideas!

....be sucking leaves, sand, and small parts into your engine"

Forget the performance issues - the difference between warm air intake and cold is only relevant if you are going to be racing. On the street, you won't feel the difference. But unless rebuilding your engine every several thousand miles is your idea of fun, you should have filters on your air intake. Since race engines do get rebuilt regularly, they can get away without filters.
haha, now definatly not my idea of fun! And i'm pretty sure the filters gonna stay (or removed when on shows)!

·
Super Moderator
10,623 Posts
im talking a weekly meeting in the next town ;)
OK, well I was just kidding you.

I have the style of airbox-filter that Loki shows in post #6 on my Sprint GT. The car came with the setup that you show in the second picture in your first post, but I felt that the type Loki suggested was "cleaner". I had to section out the two-way valve to get it to fit an early GT.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,578 Posts
Years ago we did some chassis dyno tuning on my GTA powered AUSCA spider. We had built a box into the RF fender apron (see picture) and had the under fender air hose plumbing to be able to feed cold air into the box. We ran the car, hood closed, no box type cooling fan in front of the car. It was an 80 degree F day. Then we let it idle until water temperature got over 200 degrees F (Little plastic GTA radiator cooling fan, pretty useless), and did another couple of pulls. Wound up to 6500 or above, the engine drew enough cool air by itself so power lost returned.
We then repeated the experiment with a big box fan blowing on the front of the car, like on the road or track. No difference in power output.
As such, the fender box is not connected to the cold air inlet, as on the track (or street) it would never be an issue. Further, if it did get hot, all I needed to do is increase engine speed to cool it down.
First picture is under the fender showing the box and the AUSCA built air plumbing to feed the box if we found it necessary. Second picture is the engine from above.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts