Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know of a good source for this part? 60605959, It's the 2-pin coolant temp sender for both the gauge and the over-temp light on 164LS and 164Q (1994+1995). Mounted in the base of the thermostat housing. I believe this is also the part for GTV6 and Milano but not for earlier 164 (warning light negative logic). It's not the "blue" sender that's for the ECU coolant temp.

Mine old one went bad stuck in traffic, red light came on while temp read normal - but proved that was just the sender. I swapped it for a new one in an Alfa parts box that came in the parts stash with the car, but it had suspiciously bright red plastic that didn't look like the Bosch "terracotta" red that genuine Bosch parts have - also no Bosch part number on it - and, sure enough, about 40miles after installing it, today it started ramping the gauge temp up above 250F while on the freeway and finally pegged itself. I stopped for a look - no fans, no red light, no leaks, no steam no nothing - decided it had to be my new bright red sender. Sure enough, let the car cool for 5 hours, switched it on and still 250F, disconnected the gauge wire and it drops to minimum. re-connect it and pegged at 250+F. The sender is bad.

Centerline has them: NOS Water Temp Gauge Sending Unit V6 | Centerline International but that looks suspiciously like the bright red version that just lasted ~40 miles. Eddie at DiFatta is looking for me but nothing so far. Everyone else seems to be out of stock. Does anybody know a source for the Bosch or other high quality version? I actually need 2 because I'm building a spare 24v engine for a Stratos kit. I'd be happy with the early 164 version and rigging-up a relay to reverse the logic, but I think that part (60540639) might be rarer still.

Any leads appreciated, thanks.

-Richard

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Difatta shows they have 6 in stock
Yep, but they don't have any in stock, according to Eddie, who manages their parts inventory. Maybe he'll find some. That pdf on their website isn't 100% up to date.

·
Registered
1991 Alfa Romeo 164L
13 Posts
Thanks! yes I like the look of that OKP one.
Yup, definitely looks like the part needed even for my '91 164L, BUT shipping costs are almost 2x the price of the actual unit! I guess it's based on an "upper" weight limit of 3kg, even though I know these mighty small sender units weigh only a couple of ounces at best!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i ended up buying the Centerline #60605959 one - so far so good but haven't put many miles on it for obvious reasons - so not really a long term reliability test. Anyway I think for your 164L the red light logic would be reversed.

47ohm resistor in series made the gauge read much more accurately - but YMMV on that one.

-Richard

·
Registered
1991 Alfa Romeo 164L
13 Posts
... Anyway I think for your 164L the red light logic would be reversed.
47ohm resistor in series made the gauge read much more accurately - but YMMV on that one.
-Richard
So further to this coolant gauge saga, I have the Cdn version (40-80-120) and A) the red light comes on and stays on for the first 10-15 kms (<10miles) then shuts off, and B) the gauge DOES NOT move after driving well past warm-up times (20-25 minutes of driving). I'm thinking the sending unit is bogus, OR it's not the right type. Replacing it is a chore in keyboard frustration, including my own uselessness around the methodical "process-of-elimination"! The light doesn't really come on afterwards, but this can also be due to being in the colder temps in Canada - at the moment!⛄
I may have to dig deep into my overseas cousins to find me some old shop still working on the Alfa 164s...🤞

NOTE: I checked the sending unit and it's a light blue colour coming from the thermostat. Different make?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,994 Posts
Two apples and one orange looks like to me. Blue or cream colored Bosch sensors are the coolant cold start and opening temp sensors for the motronic fuel injection system that are mounted at 45 degree angle in mid thermostat housing and hidden under top radiator hose NOT for the temp gauge and NOT overtemp red light sender.
The temp gauge and red light overtempt sender mounts next to timing belt cover. The 60540639 one (NLA) is for 1987-93 12v 3.0l V6 and the 60605959 one is for GTV6, Milano and 34v 164.

·
Premium Member
15,851 Posts
"34v 164" Wow. Let me see, just how many valves per cylinder? Looks like 5 standard and one 2/3 the size. Cool, lol.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
melimar97: the 24v sensor can be successfully adapted to a 12v car by adding a little "NO" to "NC" convertion gismo. Here is the way . . .

·
Registered
1991 Alfa Romeo 164L
13 Posts
melimar97: the 24v sensor can be successfully adapted to a 12v car by adding a little "NO" to "NC" convertion gismo. Here is the way . . .

Saw/read the write-up. Something to look forward to Iffin' I can't rely on my Italian cousins to find a part from local Alfa meccanico!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Melimar97 - You did correctly take a picture of the temp gauge sending unit for the dash gauge on your 12v 164. The light blue identifier you used, however, is simply oxidation of the brass. Not to be confused with the neighboring blue-top (typically blue, but some have found or used the white or black versions...) Bosch ECU temp sender.

Like others have said, these original 12v temp senders are nla through normal sources, and show in ebay only very very rarely.

In your second picture you can just see the Bosch temp sender for the ECU in the background.

Pics below should help - 1st pic is of the senders for the dash gauge and light. Second pic is the temp sender for the ECU and fuel injection.

Attachments

·
Registered
1991 Alfa Romeo 164L
13 Posts
Melimar97 - You did correctly take a picture of the temp gauge sending unit for the dash gauge on your 12v 164. The light blue identifier you used, however, is simply oxidation of the brass. Not to be confused with the neighboring blue-top (typically blue, but some have found or used the white or black versions...) Bosch ECU temp sender.

Like others have said, these original 12v temp senders are nla through normal sources, and show in ebay only very very rarely.
ANOTHER valid/correct (60540639) sending unit, from Facet, came up on eBay, and placed my order. Next will be to possibly replace the ECU temp sending unit. This wil also be my contribution to "What did you do Alfa related today?" thread, plus paid for an oil change and wheel alignment.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts