Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is the deal. I am going to start the process with a friend who is a huge fabricator of Beer industry stuff. He is the owner of Ska brewing/Fabricating in Durango. He's a car lover and has offered to build stuff for me because it's something different from beer industry stuff. He's a real crafty smart fellow and we are in the process of moving forward with designing one and getting one out in the next 6-12 months. I hope before summer.

It will of course have to be made of metal. Aluminum is typical but I have not talked to him about SS yet. That's what he builds with a lot so I have to look into that material and if it would hold up. I think SS would be a better option for this hold up much better. I think for this application the SS is a fine option.

I would love some feedback on not only the material but whether or not this is needed. The aftermarket plastic does not last long.

I am looking to build a quality product. I am also thinking others in the future….

Ciao!

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,527 Posts
I'd love to get one of these for the Milano too...

I would *think* aluminum's okay. I mean, the engine's all aluminum, and the coolant's in constant contact with that.

·
Premium Member
9,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right. Just thinking he will have tons of SS and most likely…all depends on price. I don't want these being 500 bucks

I can do Milano too and maybe spider and others down the line

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,527 Posts
Oh, I see what you're saying. Yeah, SS should be fine too: there's a lot of aftermarket tanks made out of stainless.

·
Premium Member
15,884 Posts
I wonder just who makes the plastic aftermarket replacement which seems to fail after a short while?

If we knew, could a message be sent to them to advise them of these failures? I doubt they care, but still, would be nice to give them a well aimed comment or two about the quality of their product?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,527 Posts
IIRC, JoeCab from Centerline said they contacted the manufacturer and didn't really get any sort of useful response. I've had like three aftermarket Milano tanks crack, even with 0.7 bar caps.

·
Premium Member
15,884 Posts
I would imagine Joe doesn't like selling something which will cr*p out in no time. Here is hoping Jason can come up with something, or surely there must be one from another make which will sort of fit in that area.

·
Premium Member
9,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool. I contacted the manuf. too. They are useless. I sell them but I warn my customers they my not last. I suggest metal straps around them until I get metal ones going.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I remember seeing some aluminum ones for GTV6's. I can't remember if it was a small batch run or what, they looked awesome.

Never mind, they were from IAP.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine will be better….haha

·
Premium Member
9,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Plastic in stock. My suggestion is to put 2 metal straps around it until I get the metal ones out. Order them on line below. Ciao!

·
Premium Member
9,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe I need to just start fab-ing up parts! I really do enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I can not recall having any reservoir failures on any models, GTV6, 90, 75 or 164, I have had those bright white stress type marks appear in the body but not a failure, how long do these plastic aftermarket ones last, are we talking less than than 12 months, do they come with a warranty?

Yes I have seen those GTV6 metal ones advertised before, are you going to include the level indicator Jason on your design like the GTV6 one has?

Stainless is the way to go but if too pricey not many will sell, how long will a metal one last before it starts rusting, what wall thickness would the metal one be Jason?

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
A replacement SS tank should be very simple design, easy and cheap to weld up and does not need to have the same shape as the original plastic tank. Functional and efficient should be the design criteria.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts