Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all, from NZ - one of our three Suds has a coolant reservoir that's started leaking under pressure, i.e. in normal hot running with the usual pressure cap on the reservoir. Nothing's changed in the car in terms of its useage or the reading on the temp gauge, but the leakage is gradually worsening. I now have to run it with the cap loose to prevent the leaking. I've got a big box of spare used reservoirs from cars dismantled over the years, but most that I tried also leaked, from one spot or another. I finally found one that didn't, but these 40-year-old tanks are all developing hairline cracks here and there, and sooner or later none of 'em will be pressure-tight.
The question is, does anyone know if new boxer ones can be bought anywhere?
Or, has anyone found a tidy-looking substitute?
Thanks all !
Graham H

Registered
The reliability on these cars suxx! Our 40yr old tanks are also cracking and the other day a 40yr old sealed thermostat stuck closed and cracked the housing 馃ぃ.
I put an infrared temp gauge on ours the other day and measured the temps across the radiator with the motor/fan running only to find a 5 deg drop in temp and sure enough the radiator was 3/4 full of gunk. I tried 2 other spare radiators only to find they both leaked from the rhs tank. Look's like I'm going to have to have one made and an alu water reservoir.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ah, you're dead right matey, some people are never happy eh! But I am - my Suds get brand new radiators when they need 'em, as they're still readily available and really economical from Asia; but they hardly ever need 'em as their coolants are all flushed out and replaced every 2yrs, along with a gentle brushing out of the bugs caught in the fins. And I'm also happy as I've got a few of the original non-sealed thermostat housings from old Suds I've dismantled, and if a sealed one starts to fail, out she goes to be replaced with a proper non-sealed unit complete with a brand new t/stat element, readily available for a few dollars from any car-parts shop down the road. Gosh, I hope you kept an eye on your dash panel's temp gauge and didn't carry on driving all those weeks your old t-stat was gradually sticking closed and all those years your radr was slowly clogging up! Tsk tsk! (PS On another topic, thanks chief for your advice about the mechanic's picks for removing those circlips in Sud inboard calipers. I've now bought a set - from same shop I buy my t'stats! The calipers in question had to be put back in the car beforehand, without doing that circlip job, but I'll try the picks next time I've got a caliper to recondition - on past experience though, that could be 3 or 4 years away.....)

Registered
Hi Graham
A friend of mine bought a Sprint Veloce, a Hatchback and a Giardinetta while I was living in Whangarei (Tutukaka) and stored them the last 5 years. We are now finding out why the owners sold them and they all have the same issues with brakes, wheel bearings, cooling, wiring etc. Not too many left here now so it's good to know somebody in the same boat

Registered
I also acquired a 78 Ti in pretty bad shape rustwise but it's mostly there. I need to decide to restore or race it once finances pick up. The original colour was Life Yellow which I think would look really good

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Graham
A friend of mine bought a Sprint Veloce, a Hatchback and a Giardinetta while I was living in Whangarei (Tutukaka) and stored them the last 5 years. We are now finding out why the owners sold them and they all have the same issues with brakes, wheel bearings, cooling, wiring etc. Not too many left here now so it's good to know somebody in the same boat View attachment 1612041
And - "I also acquired a 78 Ti in pretty bad shape rustwise but it's mostly there. I need to decide to restore or race it once finances pick up."

Wow, those are four pretty cool Suds to have, and to be saved. Nice work! In terms of the issues you mention, they're all pretty simple really - nothing high-tech in these cars eh, which makes them good for us who can be bothered to fix them. I think, though, that because things like the brakes weren't a five-minute job to deal with, and things like the wiring were poor quality and always giving niggly little problems, the original owners were just too lazy to attend to them (or couldn't do car work themselves and had to keep paying mechanics) - so they flicked off the cars. Never mind - their loss, our gain! Cheers, Graham H

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Yes sir, just received a brand new one from SudShop in GB - a great shop run by Ian Brookfield who's at [email protected]. (SudShop 鈥 Quality Parts for Alfasud Saloons & Sprints). I'd never heard about them but a correspondent from Alfabb put me on to them. It was GBP 30 plus 15 for posting to NZ. Only thing is these new ones are white rather than the original tan colour. But it looks like a very nicely made piece of equipment.Have a look through their web site - they've got all sorts of remarkable Sud things.
Thanks for the Giardinetta photo. A bit of work to do there eh! But we've seen worse, and she looks like a saver. Have you got an engine for her?
Best regards,
G

Registered
Thanks Graham, good to know.
Yes, she came with 2 knackered motors, this is the sud stand I made 20yrs ago and found it someone's back yard.
In the backround is another scrapped s/w for spares as well - badly rusted though

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Well, that's a fine piece of work, and fancy finding it again after so many years.It'll be good to see it back in use and not rusting away in someone's garden. Best regards, g

1 - 10 of 10 Posts