Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I got my engine back in again, idled it for a minute or so and now I put coolant in it. Coolant is weeping, very slightly, from the rear driver's side corner; right at the corner. Is this unheard of in a rebuild? I am hoping when I go to actually driving it the gasket will seal and that will be it. Failing that, what kind of system sealer goop do you guys recommend for small leaks like this? Dad says he's heard of something bmw uses that is composed of powdered aluminum.

·
Administrator
16,624 Posts
First thing would be to re-torque the cylinder head. Loosen one head bolt at a time, oil its threads and re-tighten to specified torque. Then move on to the next head nut and do the same. Don't loosen them ALL at one time!

Alfa did advise the addition of a cooling system additive in cases of coolant seepage. I don't know exactly what was in the Alfa specified stuff but I suspect you could use any coolant stop-leak product that is compatable with iron & aluminum.

P.S. be absolutely certain that no coolant is getting into the oil!

Attachments

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info Eric. I retorqed the head bolt right above the leakage it felt like it was about two lbs loose but when I get to drive it to warm it up, Ill definately do the retorque.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi Dan,
"composed of powdered aluminum" IIRC that was called 'alumnaseal' and came in a clear plastic tube with a screw top. I remember using it back in the 70's and the local dealer put it in as a matter or course at the time - again IIRC - it has been a while! It seemed to work pretty well, at least on small leaks.
If you had the rebuild done by someone else I would be calling them as that should not be happening really.

Cheers!
Dave G.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts