Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! 7 months into my ownership of a 1974 Alfa Spider. Exciting and fun journey, but not without headaches. My newest issue is a coolant leak that appears to be coming down the accelerator pedal and pooling into the car. Thoughts on this? Thanks!

·
Registered
'84 Spider Veloce
562 Posts
Leaking heater valve, core, or hoses. There's numerous threads - try the 'Search Community' tab at the top of the page.

David OD
Laguna CA

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Remove the center console side panel and have a look. If you can't see the exact location of the leak, use a cooling system pressure testing tool.

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
Hi all! 7 months into my ownership of a 1974 Alfa Spider. Exciting and fun journey, but not without headaches. My newest issue is a coolant leak that appears to be coming down the accelerator pedal and pooling into the car. Thoughts on this? Thanks!
Probably a leaking heater valve as it is on that side of the heater core behind the console side panel. It can be replaced without removing the core. Just awkward to access.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I have a 74 spider and the valve is on the passenger side.
I think it is the hose (return side) or (much worse) the core of the heater.. :(
My vote is on the hose..
Remove the driver side panel and .....
Repairing this will be a large learning experience..
Forgot to say, Welcome aboard, your Alfa education is about to begin... .;)

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
I have a 74 spider and the valve is on the passenger side.
I think it is the hose (return side) or (much worse) the core of the heater.. :(
My vote is on the hose..
Remove the driver side panel and .....
Repairing this will be a large learning experience..
Forgot to say, Welcome aboard, your Alfa education is about to begin... .;)
Did not realize that the valves were in reverse position on earlier Alfas. All S3 cars have it on the left side of the console.
1not a fun job if it is the heater core or even the hoses.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I looked again..... But I looked at the wrong car................:oops:

·
Registered
74 Spider 78 Spider 84 Spider
785 Posts
mine started leaking a couple days ago...not looking forward to getting up under the dash. Hope it's just something accessible without pulling the core...

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
mine started leaking a couple days ago...not looking forward to getting up under the dash. Hope it's just something accessible without pulling the core...
I hope so too but if you do have to take a deep dive, don't skimp on replacing things as you do not want to go in there again and pressure check the cooling system before you reassemble everything you took apart.
Best of luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts