Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, in an attempt to diagnose/correct my CSI problem (which seems to have magically cured itself with no apparent remedies from me), I did something really stupid: I swapped the coolant line on the throttle body with the aux air valve line.

The car is blowing white smoke (obviously), and I'm sure I have some coolant pooled up in the manifold on the passenger side. I know this stuff is no good for an engine's internals. Did I totally screw up? Am I looking at a rebuild? Or will I be ok if I disassemble the manifold, clean out the coolant, and run the engine for a bit to clear out whatever is left on the pistons/cylinder walls?

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
You 'should' be ok if you get it out of there, however there's the slight risk of damage if you got too much coolant in the cylinders and it was enough to actually bind the engine. (cylinder full of liquid during a compressions stroke not allowing the piston to come all the way up. Basically a form of hydraulic lock)

You can disconnect the coil, take the plugs out, throttle WFO, and crank the engine (15-20 second bursts with cool down in between) to blow the water out of the cylinders. Prepare for a big mess, but it will clear it out of there.

Obviously you'll want to check the oil for contamination too.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I don't think it pumped enough to get hydro lock........I happen to have a hand-crank fuel pump (for model plane engines) handy, so I dropped that down the manifold at several locations and got almost no coolant, just a few barely visible spatters coming out. I then ran the engine for a few minutes and revved it up a few times, no more white smoke now and no burning coolant smell.

Thanks for the tip on the oil, actually I hadn't thought of that. I'm doing a bunch of work on the car and plan on changing the oil and filter soon anyway.

Whew.

·
Premium Member
22,181 Posts
After you get it all cleaned out you might take a compression reading. A good reading, combined with smooth running, would indicate you probably didn't do any mechanical damage (bent rod, etc.).
Andrew

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
And dont forget to wash off all the anti freeze off the car body, or it will eat through the paint! It will not evaporate, you must wash it off!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts