Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought a low mileage milano gold, and I am trying to fix all of the problems with it so I can drive it without damaging anything. It was leaking coolant from the 2 small hoses between the thermostat housing and the head, so I decided to replace them. The problem is, the fittings on the head are both the same size, but on the thermostat housing one is quit a bit bigger than the other, and I cannot get the hose on ( I bought the hoses from IAP, and they are the correct size to fit the one side, but not the other). So, how do you put this hose on? Or where do you get hose that is the right size if they are supposed to be 2 different sizes?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I have found a hot air gun to be very helpfull when dealing with hose's that nead to be forced over larger barbs.
Warm up the hose to soften it, wet the barb with some water (to act as a bit of a lubricant) and give it your darndest to push the reluctant hose into place. :mad:
PS wear some gloves ;)

·
Premium Member
26,815 Posts
If you have 2.5L engine mid thermostat housing both sides take same size hose but if you have a 3.0L mid thermostat housing you need stepped hose for right side. Maybe somebody changed it or you have a 3.0L engine in your Gold edition. Maybe a Verde engine or 164. Order 3.0L right hose.

Also check engine number before engine serial number on left side below rear of left head to see what size engine you have in car. Post engine number something like ARxxxxx so we can see what engine you have.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah I see, that makes sense now. I think the thermostat housing may be the wrong one, thats why it is a different size on one side than the fitting on the head. So the 3.0 hose is a different size on one end than the other? If thats the case, I will just order one of those then.

·
Premium Member
26,815 Posts
Ah I see, that makes sense now. I think the thermostat housing may be the wrong one, thats why it is a different size on one side than the fitting on the head. So the 3.0 hose is a different size on one end than the other? If thats the case, I will just order one of those then.

That's the idea but you may have added bonus of 3.0L engine attached so check out engine numbers so you can see if somebody changed engine. Post numbers starting with ARxxxxx**xxxxxxx** you find below rear of left head.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts