Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm working on an TS engine at the moment (Giulia Super, street use) and I already found loads of information on this forum, however there's something in wich the search function doesn't help me out:

As you all know the coolant flow from the old Nord is different than the TS, the old style engine has a double wall. Jim Steck gave a good description on his website: Coolant Flow - pre/post '75 engines .
He installed an extra aluminum plate between the block and the liners to redirect the coolant to the head.

I would like to know if this is a common practice and whether or not:
-This increases fuel economy
-The plate can cause problems with vibrating, I am not going to drill and tap holes to connect the plate with bolts, the idea was to use a silicon seal.

-Something completely different: is it wise to use extra silicon sealant at the bottom of the liner? Some people here tried it with succes. (http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/158999-procedure-replace-cylinder-liner-seals.html)
My block leaked and has still some traces of corrosion. I sanded the surface a little bit, and it is quite smooth.

Looking forward to hear how you guys think about it.

·
Richard Jemison
8,452 Posts
modifications

Jim`s mods allow more cooling in the head. However there has to be some circulation around the liners so don`t silicone the bottom.
As for Fuel economy there will be no real measurable difference.
On a performance motor keeping the conbustion chamber/valve seat areas cooler will prevent loosening of the valve seats. The combustion chamber is where you need to remove more heat as the coolent will vaporize and cause serious issues. Notice the small bleed hoses on his engine from the casting ports over the combustion chambers to remove steam so the water remains in contact with the head`s surfaces.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your answer.
I never noticed the bleed holes, very interesting modification.
However on my simple street engine probably a bit overkill.

Maybe a second reason for changing the double wall construction is the fact the the casting is cheaper to make.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts