Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, faily new to the forum so please dont bite if this has already been answered.

I have a Spider TS 2001 model 2 Litre.
I have noticed that every month of so, my coolant becomes very very low and requires a top up. What could be the reason for this?

Thanks for your help

·
Administrator
16,621 Posts
Welcome to the BB. Most folks here have 'classic' Spiders - 1966 to 1994. We may not know much about the 'new' Alfas (but a lack of knowledge won't stop me from answering...!).

First - how about a picture of your Spider? We likes pictures!

Next, an engine can loose coolant in any one (or all) of three ways: It can leak out, it can leak in or it can get burned in the combustion chamber.

An external leak should be fairly obvious. Any puddles underneath? Any stains on the engine or cooling hoses? Do you ever notice a sweet odor/smell in the cabin - typically worse if you switch to defogging the windscreen (that indicates a heater core leaking).

Any evidence of coolant in the oil? When coolant & oil mix it looks like a 'chocolate milkshake' on the dipstick or under the oil fill cap. Coolant in the oil must not be ignored! Such a mix is a lousy lubricant and can ruin engine breaings in a short time.

Any evidence of coolant exiting the exhaust? That will usually show up as whitish smoke out the tail pipe. Note: some small quantities of water/steam out the tail pipe after starting a cold engine on a cool/cold day is NOT unusual. A normal byproduct of combustion is H20. When the engine is warming up the H20 condenses in the cold exhaust system and can spit out the tail pipe. Steam/white smoke after the engine is thoroughly warmed up is not normal. The H20 at that point should all be water vapor and be essentially invisible.

An external leak might just need a hose clamp tightened or a gasket replaced. If it is not too bad merely keeping an eye on it and making sure the coolant reservoir remains properly full might be OK. BTW, check the hose between the reservoir and the engine/radiator carefully, too.

An internal leak or coolant in the combustion chamber is your worst-case scenario. It could be a faulty head gasket. And it will not get better - only worse. Ask your mechanic to do a leak down test and pressure test the cooling system. That should help locate the source of the fault.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Eric summed it all up. I would only add that iF it is a bad head gasket, you will likely experience , as time goes by, more difficult starting as the situation becomes grave. Also, you should be getting larger amounts of oil leaking from the head gasket onto the block. Clean everything well with engine cleaner, and inspect for those symtoms.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts