Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking it is about time to change out the coolant in the Montreal. Been about 4 years, maybe 5. No overheating issues, just a preventive measure as I've seen first hand how both aluminum blocks and cylinder liners can corrode / dissolve.

I've read through the instructions in the Montreal Instruction Book and Bruce Taylor's Essential Companion. Located all the referenced block plugs, hoses, thermostat, and bleed screw and sequence of events. Supply of Prestone green stuff and distilled water on hand.

But this being an Alfa and a Montreal, I'm wondering what undocumented surprises await once I start. Has anyone here changed coolant before? Any advice, hints, clues that might be helpful before I make a mess on the garage floor?

Thanks!

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,497 Posts
Supply of Prestone green stuff and distilled water on hand.
So be a little careful. Prestone (in the yellow bottles) is no longer green and no longer a conventional coolant: it is now an organic acid technology coolant (OAT, or Dex-Cool) and has been for quite a while. While some folks have used it without issue, there are some concerns about how well OAT coolants protect brass metal & lead solder that may be present in older car radiators and/or heater cores.

If you want to go with what was originally spec'd, the old style IAT conventional green coolant is still available, usually as a store brand at most auto parts stores. It protects well but should be changed every two years. That's what I use in the Alfas.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,497 Posts
This is the local equivalent I buy, very likely your auto parts store will have something similar:

How big a problem OAT really is in older cars Mongo Dunno, but I figure best to not risk it.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Located all the referenced block plugs, hoses, thermostat, and bleed screws.
You can probably count on making a mess on the garage floor; I seem to no matter how hard I try not to. I don't bother the bleed screws on the water pump or thermostat housing and I don't remove the block drains either. If you do manage to remove the bleed screws you might want to put some anti-seize compound on them. I do however use the funnel that I saw in Eric the car guys video. I am glad that I got one a few years ago and keep mine clean.

I change the coolant every other year too.

Mark

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tom, Mark thanks for the input. I had just purchased the Prestone from the local O'Reilly's, so I headed off - with my mask - to exchange for the conventional O'Reilly's stuff. They were more than happy to move some of the store brand and actually I do now recall some discussion somewhere about changes to Prestone. And, surprise surprise, they also had Eric the Car Guy's funnel on the shelf which should help keep things less messy, at least on the top side, so I think I'm set. Mess day will be Monday. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
You'll love the funnel. I use mine all the time but keep it clean. I use the same coolant that Gubi recommended too.

Mark

·
Registered
298 Posts
Has anyone used the Evans waterless coolant on the Montreal or any other Alfa. Is this something we should be looking into?

Thanks
Pino

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts