Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming out of the other side on a head gasket R&R of my 84 spider. Having flushed the cooling system for the third time I can nearly recite the fill and bleed steps by heart. My question surrounds coolant capacity. I don't think I have never drained 2.5 gallons as I never measured, even though I open both the radiator drain and the rear left side block drain. (Heater set to hot)
I do know I have not put in over 2 gallons because I'm using new containers that are a gallon each. The second is almost 1/2 full and I haven't opened the third. With water having come out of the pump bleeder and then intake bleeder, how do you get the rest of the coolant in?
Even at tstat opening temps, the level is not dropping in the rad enough to take any more coolant.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I usually drain as much as I can then flush with tap water/garden hose and drain that. Then I add the amount of coolant/antifreeze needed for a 50% mix and fill the rest with water.

View attachment 1678960
Sounds pretty normal to me, of course my problem has been knowing what a 50/50 mix would be ahead of time when the car will not accept even 2 gallons against a 2.5 gallon stated capacity? (I didn't really care when I was filling w just water for cleaning purposes)
Of course I can use pre diluted, but my question really was how to get 2+gallons in, as system seems full well below 2 gallons. Conversely does the rad and block drain really empty 100% of the coolant?

·
Registered
9,400 Posts
As my S4 takes 7,5 litres (1,98 US gallons) I buy a gallon of concentrate antifreeze and a gallon of distilled.
A couple of litres more is actually better then you have some for top ups or if you were to lose some by undoing a small hose or whatever to do some work.

Whatever quantity you buy just buy equal amounts, then empty it all into a big bucket....your own 50/50 mix - near enough is good enough! - ......and then put it into the coolant system.
What is left over I know is a 50/50 mix and that I keep in the trunk in a 1 litre bottle (or 1 Qt. in your part of the woods)

I never know if these pre mixed coolants actually use distilled or normal water, that's why I do it myself, and it works out cheaper anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
As my S4 takes 7,5 litres (1,98 US gallons) I buy a gallon of concentrate antifreeze and a gallon of distilled.
A couple of litres more is actually better then you have some for top ups or if you were to lose some by undoing a small hose or whatever to do some work.

Whatever quantity you buy just buy equal amounts, then empty it all into a big bucket....your own 50/50 mix - near enough is good enough! - ......and then put it into the coolant system.
What is left over I know is a 50/50 mix and that I keep in the trunk in a 1 litre bottle (or 1 Qt. in your part of the woods)

I never know if these pre mixed coolants actually use distilled or normal water, that's why I do it myself, and it works out cheaper anyway.
I usually keep and old bottle around for mixing purposes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts