Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cooking Painted Valve Covers-question?

Rattle canning my valve cover tommorrow.

Wipe clean with thinner.
No primmer.
Rattle Can the crinkle finish. Several coats.
Cook in oven.

What temp? How long?

Any advice?

Thanks,

ncng

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Allow the paint time to dry to the touch.
Do the "cooking" early in the day. Just as she leaves for work. The whole house will smell so keep windows open and oven fan on.
For dinner, cook something using lots of garlic and bacon to mask any leftover smells. Serve dinner with lots of wine.
Use foil in bottom of oven and on grill to catch paint drips.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Use a 'friends' oven?

I never baked the paint on mine and they look good after 4 years or so (when they are clean) except the left-hand side that had brake fluid drizzled on it. They get baked by engine heat anyway.

Not sure it is relevant but I used a far too bright silver originally that I hated so I repainted with a (Ford of all things) red leaving the Alfa script silver. Looks pretty decent. The red curls with brake fluid but the silver did not. Can't remember off-hand if they were the same brand.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Nice job John. Do I detect tell-tale signs of brake fluid on the exhust manifiold?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Nice job John. Do I detect tell-tale signs of brake fluid on the exhust manifiold?
No. That is the residue from an extremely liberal application of PB Blaster that I tend to shoot on every nut and bolt before trying to unscrew them.

·
Registered
242 Posts
interesting reading this - bake in an oven used for food prep with or without wife involved. Question - what are the solvents baked out of the paint and since they seem to stink, what remains in the oven to interact with food cooked later? ...ponderings from one with semiconductor fab awareness...

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
interesting reading this - bake in an oven used for food prep with or without wife involved. Question - what are the solvents baked out of the paint and since they seem to stink, what remains in the oven to interact with food cooked later? ...ponderings from one with semiconductor fab awareness...
I thought about this, just cause no matter how much vino I serve her, she will still freak out, haven't had achance to paint them yet, I think I might do them on the BBQ?

Thoughts?

ncng

·
Registered
377 Posts
since your wife wants a new stove anyway, what does it matter? just make sure that the new stove (which you will let her pick out) is on-site and ready to be installed before you trash the old one (its last act before being retired).

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Any advice?
Powdercoating is very reasonably cheap. Send it out for professional results. Otherwise, buy a small used apartment-style electric oven and bake to paint or powder manufacturers recommendations.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts