Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've noticed that quite a few people around here have pushbutton starts on their gtv6s. I'm about to be one as well, it seems my only ignition key fell out of my pocket when I was driving another car.

Now I'm really regretting not having the keys copied. :mad:

I ripped out the radio and bought an ignition panel that bolts right up to where that used to be. I went ahead and painted it to match the rest of the dash. Before I go ahead and hook the thing up, does anyone have any input/suggestions on wiring it?

Also, whats the best way to disable the steering lock?

If it helps, car is a 1985 GTV6.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
dissable the steering lock...remove the ignition wich will be a PAIN without a key

personaly on a puch button i would run it thru a ford starter soliniod(normaly used on 50's-80's as well as brand new boats STILL use them)

what are your plans for theft?...id get to work on a hidden dissable switch unless its a race car

me if i can ever get my hands on a trunk lock from a gtv6 will be modifying it to be my pushbutton as it lockable yet doesnt require a key in it to function

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm just going to pick up a korean knockoff of the club off ebay until I can figure out something better.

Think I should just drill the ignition switch out?

I didnt realize that I had lost the key until I was about to take the car to get it smogged. Now I've missed the deadline and I'm starting to get impatient.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
sometimes you can bash the pin in that holds the ignition switch in place but it will render the ingnition switch a total loss....

once you pull the plastic off the column take a look at the ignition switch,,at the top there is a small pin in a small hole in the column ...normaly you turn the key on and push this pin in and out slides the ignition switch.....without the key ..take a punch and bash that pin in or try cutting it down with a dremel ...thread a screw into the lock and pull lightly and the unit should slide right out

now you do have another option on the ignition system..get a small ignition(on off) key switch..useualy used on lawn tractors and boats wire it in next to your push button and you will still have a key on/off along with your push button......not the most theft resistant but it will slow them down

i just recently took the lock cyl out of the milano and have no use for it..ive got the whole ignition switch ect ...if you want i can snap some pic's of what im talking about

i snaped a few pic's...but i may have a HUGE shortcut for you...i found a "security bolt" much like ive seen on alot of imports...im going to cut a notch in it and see if its threaded....if it is and it holds in the unit like i think it does..then all that you would need to do is notch it and unscrew it

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
ok notch the security screw and the whole ignition switch assembly slides right out...the notch doesnt need to be deep at all

ok see on the right..there is a screw hole and a pin hole..on the left is the security screw

next pic the square hole..there will be a cube in it pull it out thats the column lock

heres the whole ignition switch assembly slide out...wish id seen that security screw when i was takeing it all apart as it would have been quicker..

course this is asumeing the setup is the same on a milano but im fairly sure its the EXACT same setup

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
the ignition keys are quite easy to replicate with a file and a blank key. order the key from keys4classics, and file down the areas that a scrached when you put the blank key into the ignition. i had a key smith do it to my gtv6, and it took him less than 5 mins!

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
nice thing about notching the screw is that you can put the unit back in place with the same screw whenever you like

1 - 8 of 8 Posts