Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Alfetta brake fluid was convert from DOT3 to DOT5 Silicon on the 80th .
I want to change the flexible brake hoses and to switch the fluid to ATE DOT4

What possible problems could occur of switching from Silicon fluid ?
Do you have any recommendation how to do it ?

Thanks
Ron

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
There might be some information you'd find useful starting with this post .

There is a chemical incompatibility between the fluids that will cause any remaining DOT 5 in the system to congeal. Purportedly the change in chemistry can cause seal degradation as well. In my case, didn't have time for a long hand so I went with a good flush (clutch hydraulics) and so far so good. The intent was to rebuild the system next opportunity (later this year maybe?) but if no symptoms appear, well, there are other priorities.
You will notice the formation of many globules in the reservoir as small amounts of DOT 5 remain and are reacted with. Used the ol' turkey baster here to try removing them before pushing them through the lines. Just keep flushing. Can't find any links at the moment (apparently didn't save any) but many articles are can be found with google on the what, why, and how.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Good choice - silicone sucks IMO. Had it in both of my old Corvettes a few years back. Thought it was a good idea:rolleyes:. The only good thing about SBF is that if you spill it on paint, it won't take the paint off. It compresses more that regular brake fluid, costs a whole lot more, and still needs to be bleed although probably not as often as Dot 4 or Dot 3. When it got time for caliper rebuilds, I did the change back. Used Denatured alchol on the bores and blew out with compressed air the passages. Also (as best as I could) poured the alchol in the lines and blew that out. The fluid in the master still shows traces of the "blue" from the silicone. I blead one car again last year to help flush more of the silicone krap out. On the other car, I have since did all calipers over, replaced the lines and master. That will get a fresh dose of Dot 4 as the resto progresses.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are many options on the WEB, some says that it is enough to flush the system few times with the brakes fluid, other recommend to flush the system with alcohol and few recommend to change all rubbers and sealing.
I will appreciate any personal experience with Alfetta.

Thanks
Ron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts