Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, I would like to convert my 88 Spider to standing pedals. I was wondering if anyone else would admit to doing this, and if so, any tips? Failing this, my biggest concern is mounting the aluminum casting that holds the two standing pedals. Do I need to reinforce the sheet metal around the hole I cut in the floorboards? Does anyone have pictures of a S1 looking up at the floorboards/transmission where the casting mounts? Thanks much.

Thanks everyone for your helpful responses. And pictures. I still have a month or two before I break out the cutters, and since I have not fully committed yet, I will continue to do my homework. Thanks again.

In addition to converting my Berlina to the same billet caliper brakes, I also added the remote control rear view mirrors (the control knob is to the left of the defrost button, cut out the rectangular bank of idiot lights between the tach and speedo and redistributed them like a 69 GTV in the dash, added a center console to hide the ducts for some rear seat vents connected to the heater box (I stuffed a Milano box behind the dash). Lots of work, not for the feint of heart, but something I think I am pretty good at. Hence my enthusiasm for working on the Spider.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
If yougoing to do this, I’d just do a Tilton or Wilwood pedal box. That way you aren’t looking for rare 50+ year old Alfa parts and there are readily available adaptors for remote master cylinders, etc.

Probably a good idea to do some sort of reinforcement plate. Also, floor is not flat under the pedals so it’s going to need a platform.

What are you actually looking to accomplish with the project?

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Hey everyone, I would like to convert my 88 Spider to standing pedals. I was wondering if anyone else would admit to doing this, and if so, any tips? Failing this, my biggest concern is mounting the aluminum casting that holds the two standing pedals. Do I need to reinforce the sheet metal around the hole I cut in the floorboards? Does anyone have pictures of a S1 looking up at the floorboards/transmission where the casting mounts? Thanks much.
We went the other way with our '69 Berlina, and added hanging pedals. We haven't yet stuck a plate over the hole in the floor, I could take some pictures, or you could swing by and take a look yourself.

I've also got a Giulia Super that has a Tilton floor pedal setup in it. I can grab some pics of that too if you want.

bs

·
Super Moderator
11,778 Posts
Do I need to reinforce the sheet metal around the hole I cut in the floorboards?
I would suggest you take a look at a pre-'70 Alfa to see how the factory mounted the pedal box. The sheet metal floor alone doesn't provide the structure. While there are two bolts going through the floor into the pedal box it passes through some fairly heavy metal braces. The standing pedal boxes are also secured by a second pair of bolts positioned toward the rear. Rather than trying to reinforce your hanging pedal car, it might be easier to cut the whole floor section from a standing pedal car and graft that in.

nealric said:
Yes, it would be useful to know the answer to that question.

Reactions: kengta

·
Registered
94 Posts
J
Just curious- Why would you do this?

Reactions: kengta

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I would not recommend this conversion. There are a lot of variables to consider beside where the pedals are mounted. Like will there be clearance for the exhaust system, will you have a mechanical clutch, how will you plumb the brakes and are you going to buy new floor mats... Here are some photographs to consider:

Duetto floor mats 9 2109.jpg

Linkage close to exhaust flange.jpg

Even if you were to be successful; how much would this devalue your car?

Mark

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,629 Posts
I'm asking the same question: why would you do this? This is a massive undertaking for little practical purpose.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If yougoing to do this, I’d just do a Tilton or Wilwood pedal box. That way you aren’t looking for rare 50+ year old Alfa parts and there are readily available adaptors for remote master cylinders, etc.

Probably a good idea to do some sort of reinforcement plate. Also, floor is not flat under the pedals so it’s going to need a platform.

Ease of use. The pedal stroke with the hanging is a lot whereas the standing is a little. I have had a 69 GTV for 35+ years and as such am pretty comfortable with the standing pedals. I already have the aluminum pedal assembly for a 105, so it would be a matter of making the spider look like my GTV. Just need some pictures of the series 1. Oh, one other thing, the car has a chassis stiffener on it, so a little cutting on the floor boards won't be noticed too much. I will, however, surround the hole with thicker sheet metal to reinforce.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would not recommend this conversion. There are a lot of variables to consider beside where the pedals are mounted. Like will there be clearance for the exhaust system, will you have a mechanical clutch, how will you plumb the brakes and are you going to buy new floor mats... Here are some photographs to consider:

View attachment 1678672

View attachment 1678673

Mark
HI Mark, thanks for the pictures, The second one is a little dark, but I think it will work. Any chance you could peal back your floor mats too? Thanks much. As for value, this is not a consideration. I have a hard time heal and toe-ing the car with the hanging pedals because when I lift my leg to apply the brake, my knee wedges between the steering wheel and the shift boot. Super awkward. And not heal and toe like I am used to in my 69 GTV. Thanks again for the pictures.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would suggest you take a look at a pre-'70 Alfa to see how the factory mounted the pedal box. The sheet metal floor alone doesn't provide the structure. While there are screws between the pedal box and the floor, they are mostly there to maintain a tight, waterproof seal.

Yes, it would be useful to know the answer to that question.
Thank you Jay.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We went the other way with our '69 Berlina, and added hanging pedals. We haven't yet stuck a plate over the hole in the floor, I could take some pictures, or you could swing by and take a look yourself.

I've also got a Giulia Super that has a Tilton floor pedal setup in it. I can grab some pics of that too if you want.

bs
Thank you Brian.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts

View attachment 1678672

View attachment 1678673

Mark
Its an S3, so I don’t think it would hit the value much. But the mechanical clutch in the standing pedal car is a good point. Based on the op’s goals, I still think an aftermarket pedal box is the best way to accomplish it, though it would result in a booster less brake setup.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,629 Posts
If your issue is you want to heel-toe, wouldn't it be a lot easier to modify the gas pedal position to be level with the brake? I'd sure as heck rather do that (and then modify the seat to go back farther if needed) than rebuild the whole pedal system.

·
Super Moderator
11,778 Posts
If your issue is you want to heel-toe, wouldn't it be a lot easier to modify the gas pedal position to be level with the brake? I'd sure as heck rather do that (and then modify the seat to go back farther if needed) than rebuild the whole pedal system.
Yes. And if that isn't enough, shorten the push rods that actuate the brake & clutch MC's so that the pedals sit lower.

·
Registered
what part?
10,928 Posts
I'm asking the same question: why would you do this? This is a massive undertaking for little practical purpose.
want to make the brake bleading harder to do?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

As it turns out, I already bought the box from APE. Larry also packaged a Guila box with a mechanical clutch linkage in the cast aluminum housing. The metalwork will be the big hurdle, as I am pretty comfortable with fabricating custom hydraulics myself. So I will probably fabricate a plate with a flat base and two lips; one that rolls up to the transmission tunnel a little and another up the firewall. As I said below, I have been driving a standing pedal 69 Alfa continuously since 1977. My dad taught me to heal and toe, double clutch, the whole nine yards, so I am very comfortable with the pedals on the floor. I am a little tall and the hanging brake pedal in the spider requires me to lift my leg from the accelerator and then apply the brake (as opposed to my GTV where I can roll my toes over to tap the brake pedal). But I invariably jam my knee between the steering wheel and shift boot, which is frustrating when I am messing around in the car. Not zombies eating my brain catastrophe but more of a nice to have. Make sense?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
As it turns out, I already bought the box from APE. Larry also packaged a Guila box with a mechanical clutch linkage in the cast aluminum housing. The metalwork will be the big hurdle, as I am pretty comfortable with fabricating custom hydraulics myself. So I will probably fabricate a plate with a flat base and two lips; one that rolls up to the transmission tunnel a little and another up the firewall. As I said below, I have been driving a standing pedal 69 Alfa continuously since 1977. My dad taught me to heal and toe, double clutch, the whole nine yards, so I am very comfortable with the pedals on the floor. I am a little tall and the hanging brake pedal in the spider requires me to lift my leg from the accelerator and then apply the brake (as opposed to my GTV where I can roll my toes over to tap the brake pedal). But I invariably jam my knee between the steering wheel and shift boot, which is frustrating when I am messing around in the car. Not zombies eating my brain catastrophe but more of a nice to have. Make sense?
You can accomplish heel-toe ease with a simple adjustment to the throttle pedal (or replacement of the throttle pedal as I have done). No need to switch to floor pedals if that’s what you want.

·
Premium Member
5,876 Posts
I to prefer the standing pedals to the hanging ones for the shorter stroke. I also like the feel of the brakes without the boosters.

Parts you will need.

The 1969 one year only standing pedal assembly. Only year of standing pedals and the hydraulic clutch.
Exhaust front section. The downpipe bend is different.
The trans exhaust bracket that bolts to the bracket that bolts on to the trans.
BMC and CMC and brake lines.

You will need to drill a hole through the frame rail for the clutch pivot pin.

Between the parts book pages and your 69 GTV. You should have all the answers to your questions. The pedal box assembly is the same and bolts up the same way on all the models.

Here are the parts book pages.

Attachments

Reactions: vintagemilano

·
Super Moderator
11,778 Posts
You will need to drill a hole through the frame rail for the clutch pivot pin.
And two, smaller holes aft of that to mount the clutch MC to the frame rail.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts