Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Convertible Top Installation project

131K views 155 replies 65 participants last post by  wagoossens 
#1 · (Edited)
I thought I would document my 85 Spider Veloce convertible top removal and installation. I see lots of threads with bits and pieces, but no end to end pictures. Let me know if you think this will be useful , and you may have to be patient. Here is what I have to start with.

Going to start with removal tonight.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Phase 1 removal

First remove the chrome top pieces just behind the top of each door.

Next remove the carpet, and the door jamb. you will find small pieces screwed through the carpet ( two screws each) they are tie downs. and or twist lock things. These are for the convertible top hold down straps, and for the convertible top cover if you have one.

Automotive exterior Windshield Automotive window part Vehicle door Bumper

Carpet out

Automotive exterior Auto part Bumper Vehicle Trunk

#7 ·
Phase 1 continues

Next lift up the vinyl flap to reveal the 22 nuts which hold the vinyl flap and the top to the sides and back of the car. Remove the nuts and washers and store in baggy or container. I recommend covering the back and sides of the car with a blanket so you can lean in through the back window. I think this is easier than working from inside, and since my back window was trashed i just went in that way

Automotive exterior Auto part Bumper Vehicle door Vehicle

Automotive exterior Trunk Windshield Vehicle door Glass

Remove the retaining strip and carefully remove the vinyl strips underneath, I think most new tops dont come with new ones.

Looks like I have some cleaning to do here.

Automotive exterior Auto part Tire Automotive tire Bumper

I marked the pieces and put up arrows on the back piece so that I dont get confused later ( happens a lot to me), OH BTW SAVE THE VINYL STRIPS.

Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Auto part Hood

#10 ·
Great work. This type of information will prove valuable to lots of Alfa D-I-Y'ers.

Note that the 22 studs holding the rear of the top can be somewhat fragile. Especially after years of corrosion. A drop or two of penetrating oil (I like PB Blaster) before trying to remove the nuts may avoid that "Oh dang" feeling if one (or more) break. Also, be nice to the future owner (or perhaps yourself) and apply a bit of anti-sieze to the studs/nuts on re-assembly.

While you have the top off, check the drain holes and rubber hoses. You can see one of the hoses towards the right side of the first photo in reply #7.

#13 · (Edited)
Phase 1 removal continued

Ok Next set. Drill out rivets on side supports 3 on each side use 1/8inch drillbit. You may notice oil here I sprayed this on the turnbuckle ( later phase)
Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part

Metal Steel

Peel vinyl/cloth from side support
Vehicle door Automotive exterior Fender Auto part Wheel

Be sure to pull out metal strips behind side support. These are what go inside the top and the rivets hold onto them.
Auto part Vehicle Car

Here's where I am now.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Vintage car Classic

#14 · (Edited)
Phase 1 continued

Now remove the turnbuckles (1 on each side) which hold the wire running through the frame to keep the top tight. I sprayed mine down with a bolt loosener.
Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Auto part Car

Use 7mm wrench/socket to loosen the lock bolts from the little sleeves this is spring loaded, but not with a lot of force.
Windshield Vehicle Auto part Automotive exterior Glass

Pull the plastic cover off of the wire loop(if its still there). straighten the wire and pull off the bottom spring retainer and spring.

Bicycle part Bicycle wheel Tire Vehicle Bicycle tire

next unscrew the assembly from the frame

Auto part Windshield Tire Automotive exterior Suspension

Store all parts safely. I eat a lot of Atoids ( sometimes I even clean the tin out before I store my parts)

Everyday carry

Thats all for now.
Gabriel

#18 · (Edited)
Phase 1 removal continues

Thanks for everyone's support. Next we have to carefully remove the weathersrip from the front bow. I pulled back the sides and soaked the whole thing down with armourall/silicon lube.

Shoe

next carefully pull the strip out of the track. You can get replacements at IAP or Centerline. Don't know if you can see it, but mine is cut off at each end, and should really extend beyond the track a couple of inches. I will order a new one,but to keep things going I will probably put this one back in temporarily. ( thanks to Roadtrip and Slash for info on Weather strip)
Tire Automotive tire Automotive exterior Rim Auto part

Next drill out the rivets(6)to remove the track. Same process as before 1/8th drill bit.

Tire Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Auto part Vehicle

Clean and store safely for later.

Red Maroon Bag Bumper Leather

#20 ·
This looks great so far, keep it up!

I have a question though. When i bought my car, the top was new and recently installed. The turnbuckles on the vertical supports of the top in my car are not connected to anything. I have no idea what they do. My top fits quite well and is tight so I probably won't change anything, but for future reference, where does that tightening wire between the two turnbuckles go? What is its purpose? Thanks.

Happy motoring

#23 ·
Don't worry folks

Don't worry folks, work is progressing well. I am through the clean up phase and into the installation phase. Lots of pictures to upload, but just trying to get her back on the road.

Gabriel

#26 · (Edited)
Phase 2 Clean up

For this phase you will need acetone, rags and a scraper of some sort. Next scrape and clean the old glue off of the bows. I laughed when Home Depot offerred me a quart or a gallon of Acetone, but I used almost the whole quart. REMEMBER DO THIS OUTSIDE, or you will get even more brain damage.
Design Tree Textile Plant Pattern

I found this wicked scraper that worked well on the curved surface, I know it scratched through the paint a little, but I touched up with some black trim paint before installation.

Steering part Steering wheel Vehicle Car Windshield

In the end it was lots of acetone, rags and , elbow grease.
Here is the side pillar glue removal. BEFORE

Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Fender

And AFTER

Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Tire Carbon

Clean the front Bow underside really well.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Auto part Rim

#27 ·
Phase 2 clean up continues

Now I vacuumed up all of the junk not caught by the blankets, and ( I didn't forget) cleaned the drains from the rain gutter/rail at the back of the car.

Auto part Vehicle Automotive exterior Pipe Metal

#28 · (Edited)
Phase 2 Clean up continued

I scrubbed, vacuumed, then used some Fantastik to get the rest of the grime out of the back area. This leaves less stuff to trap and hold moisture in the rain gutter.
Hand

Vehicle Auto part

Here's how it looks now.
Vehicle

final vacuum

Auto part Automotive exterior

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.