Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I would document my 85 Spider Veloce convertible top removal and installation. I see lots of threads with bits and pieces, but no end to end pictures. Let me know if you think this will be useful , and you may have to be patient. Here is what I have to start with.

Going to start with removal tonight.

Attachments

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Pictures

I put them in the thread can you see them now? I had to put them in as stupid attachments, cant seem to get to the image manager.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I thought I would document my 85 Spider Veloce convertible top removal and installation. I see lots of threads with bits and pieces, but no end to end pictures. Let me know if you think this will be useful , and you may have to be patient. Here is what I have to start with.

Going to start with removal tonight.
Yes, by all means post. Any and all photos and tips are welcome.
I will be doing the same in about 2 months.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Phase 1 removal

First remove the chrome top pieces just behind the top of each door.

step 1.jpg

Next remove the carpet, and the door jamb. you will find small pieces screwed through the carpet ( two screws each) they are tie downs. and or twist lock things. These are for the convertible top hold down straps, and for the convertible top cover if you have one.
step2a.jpg

Step2b.jpg

Carpet out

Carpet out.jpg

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Phase 1 continues

Next lift up the vinyl flap to reveal the 22 nuts which hold the vinyl flap and the top to the sides and back of the car. Remove the nuts and washers and store in baggy or container. I recommend covering the back and sides of the car with a blanket so you can lean in through the back window. I think this is easier than working from inside, and since my back window was trashed i just went in that way

step3a.jpg

Step3b.jpg

Remove the retaining strip and carefully remove the vinyl strips underneath, I think most new tops dont come with new ones.

Looks like I have some cleaning to do here.

removed from back.jpg

I marked the pieces and put up arrows on the back piece so that I dont get confused later ( happens a lot to me), OH BTW SAVE THE VINYL STRIPS.

vinyl and retaining strips out.jpg

·
Administrator
16,545 Posts
Great work. This type of information will prove valuable to lots of Alfa D-I-Y'ers.

Note that the 22 studs holding the rear of the top can be somewhat fragile. Especially after years of corrosion. A drop or two of penetrating oil (I like PB Blaster) before trying to remove the nuts may avoid that "Oh dang" feeling if one (or more) break. Also, be nice to the future owner (or perhaps yourself) and apply a bit of anti-sieze to the studs/nuts on re-assembly.

While you have the top off, check the drain holes and rubber hoses. You can see one of the hoses towards the right side of the first photo in reply #7.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Drain holes

Eric
Thanks for the tip. When I do my clean up I will shoot a couple of pictures, and include clean up as a phase. Hopefully get to it today.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Phase 1 removal continued

Ok Next set. Drill out rivets on side supports 3 on each side use 1/8inch drillbit. You may notice oil here I sprayed this on the turnbuckle ( later phase)
step5 overview.jpg

step5a.jpg

Peel vinyl/cloth from side support
step5b.JPG

Be sure to pull out metal strips behind side support. These are what go inside the top and the rivets hold onto them.
step5c.jpg

Here's where I am now.

side supports off.jpg

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Phase 1 continued

Now remove the turnbuckles (1 on each side) which hold the wire running through the frame to keep the top tight. I sprayed mine down with a bolt loosener.
turnbuckle.jpg

Use 7mm wrench/socket to loosen the lock bolts from the little sleeves this is spring loaded, but not with a lot of force.
step6a.jpg

Pull the plastic cover off of the wire loop(if its still there). straighten the wire and pull off the bottom spring retainer and spring.

step6b.jpg

next unscrew the assembly from the frame

step6c.jpg

Store all parts safely. I eat a lot of Atoids ( sometimes I even clean the tin out before I store my parts)

handy storage idea.jpg

Thats all for now.
Gabriel

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Phase 1 continued

Next we have to remove the T bolts that hold the edges of the top turned down on each end of the windshield. ( 7mm)

step7a.jpg

step7c.jpg

Store them safely for later.
step7b.jpg

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Many times you'll find that the "T" bolts were lost long ago and POs had used ordinary bolts. While replacement "T" bolts are really hard to find, you can make a suitable substitute from an ordinary "elevator bolt" available at Ace Hardware by grinding it into a "T" shape.

·
Registered
333 Posts
What a great post! It is truly said, "A picture is worth....etc." Sharing your step-by-step install with pics is truly a generous act. Keep up the good work, and I know I speak for all my fellow Alfisti when I say "Mil Grazi!" :D

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Phase 1 removal continues

Thanks for everyone's support. Next we have to carefully remove the weathersrip from the front bow. I pulled back the sides and soaked the whole thing down with armourall/silicon lube.

step9a.jpg

next carefully pull the strip out of the track. You can get replacements at IAP or Centerline. Don't know if you can see it, but mine is cut off at each end, and should really extend beyond the track a couple of inches. I will order a new one,but to keep things going I will probably put this one back in temporarily. ( thanks to Roadtrip and Slash for info on Weather strip)
step9b.jpg

Next drill out the rivets(6)to remove the track. Same process as before 1/8th drill bit.

step9c.jpg

Clean and store safely for later.

step9d.jpg

·
Registered
416 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to document and post your efforts.

The weatherstrip for the front bow is available from Centerline and IAP.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This looks great so far, keep it up!

I have a question though. When i bought my car, the top was new and recently installed. The turnbuckles on the vertical supports of the top in my car are not connected to anything. I have no idea what they do. My top fits quite well and is tight so I probably won't change anything, but for future reference, where does that tightening wire between the two turnbuckles go? What is its purpose? Thanks.

Happy motoring

1 - 20 of 128 Posts