Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Chapel Hill, does anyone know of a reputable installer for Alfa convertible tops in the Raleigh, Durham Chapel Hill area?or other close areas??

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Eric, any recommendations?

In Greensboro, A-1 Upholstery is pretty good.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Hey, wasn't Eric looking for another oppertunity like this anyway to show off more pictures of his lift, the ginger kid, and have another 'open garage' day for those that wanted to come see/do/learn?

I heard this time he was even going be grillinging steak and lobster and offering free beer, wine and sangria for those who were interested.

·
Administrator
17,377 Posts
Hey, wasn't Eric looking for another oppertunity like this anyway to show off more pictures of his lift, the ginger kid, and have another 'open garage' day for those that wanted to come see/do/learn?

I heard this time he was even going be grillinging steak and lobster and offering free beer, wine and sangria for those who were interested.
Must be a different Eric. If'n it was me we'd be having lobstah, beeah, etc after fixing our cahs. (I am a **** yankee from Massachusetts.)

If you do want to come to Mebane and use a heated/air conditioned garage we could for sure have another 'open garage'.

October 21 , 2007

June 12, 2010

November 27, 2010

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey I resemble that. I'm a Yankee too.You mean Chowda, don't you? I'm a transplanted Yankee also. I'd most certainly like an open garage-never installed a top before,so it would be good to have someone who has done it to direct me (us) from the chair, you know-"do this I think, no-I remember I did it this way, no I think it works like that but your car seems different from all the other ones I did, come to think of it" beats me I'm just here for the beer" expert.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its on the way. Ill pm you when I get it- to discuss about details.
things like rusted nuts (typical I know), rivets that need to be redone and adhesives etc...email you later this week..
Thanks

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
top installation

Autocraft in Durham, used to be the recommended place but it has been a long while. Near intersection of Fay and Geer

there is a place on Northwest St in Raleigh. several years ago as the stitching was coming apart on my rear window and a couple other spots, I removed my top and brought just the canvas in to them. they restitched the window and pretty much the whole top while relocating the front bow wrap for a little more than $100. The work I saw while there was impressive.

It is easy enough to do yourself but time consuming. Total time for my install of a Caribou roof was probably one long day. A helper while not essential is of tremendous help.

get a copy of the Alfa instructions.

make notes, take pictures of how your current top fits now.

The first day I stripped the old roof off and reconditioned the frame by scrubbing all the old adhesive and top remnants off with xylene (use proper ppe) and then spraying with satin black and lubing all the moving points.

warm the top

remove the seats

measure and mark (lightly) the center of the windshield header and the center of the bows and the center of the rear panel. correspondingly mark the center of the top at the front, bow flaps, and rear.

check the fit of everything you can before you make a heavy mark, spread adhesive, etc. just in case you need to return the top. Mine had the front bow flaps out of position by about 1.5 inches but the extended delivery time from the vendor and then my extended work commitments meant 4-6 months before I got to inspect and install so I had to make it work.

working from the center to the left-right, left,right, left-right, etc will help to ensure your top is centered and even.

front header, be patient and get the front seam as tight (low, wrapped around the header panel) for a good seal against the windshield frame other wise you will get a lot of wind noise.

line up the center marks as you work.

One thing I thought up as we installed the top onto the rear studs. A hot soldering iron with a conical tip melted and sealed the edges of the holes it made in about 2 - 3 seconds for each hole.

also, a low power heat gun or high power hair dryer could come in handy.

Good Luck,

Wayne

·
Administrator
17,377 Posts
Well, before you (or anyone) buys a new top I suggest a search of the BB for "Caribou". And that's all I'll say about that.

There is a great thread about top installation on the BB - with lots of photos. I believe the FAQ thread has a link to it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, not interested in Carib.., thanks for the heads up. Its a Robbins top and I am going over to Autocraft in Durham to ck them out just because this looks lik a major PIA and I'd rather do something easier and fun and not have it take a day or two in your garage. Also, the weather needs top be warm for this so I have some time to research this effort.
Jeff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts