Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I am from Nick from the Asheville, NC area.
I have been intrigued for at least 20 years about the Alfa, ever since I saw a Milano for sale at a Park it Market in Sioux Falls SD, where I am originally from.

I would like to meet someone from my current area (NC) with an Alfa, and actually see, touch, and maybe drive one, to see if the car and I are a "soul match".

I fix things for a living. Have been a repairman on everything from a C-17a Globemaster transport jet, to our Dyson vacuum cleaner (by far the greatest challenge to tear down and reassemble!). Oh ya, and many cars.

I want to move into a car hobby. I don't just want to fix my Jeep in time to get my kids to school on Monday. I want to work on a car, then get a rush driving it on all the glorious twisty mountain roads that surround me. Keeping my eye out for a project, one that involves more engine work than body.

·
Administrator
16,998 Posts
Also not near Asheville but Mebane has the most Alfa's per capita of any place in North Carolina. We've got Spiders, GTV6's, & Milano's. If you're ever near by let us know - we'll arrange for some rides.

The Mid-Atlantic Alfa Romeo Club has quite a few members in & around Asheville.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Nick, run! Run away! don't look back. I have been driving Alfas since I got my first driver's license back in 1980. It's a drug stronger than opium. Few things will put a smile on your face than an Alfa Romeo driving down the track at full song. The engine sounds like a concert written by angels. You are just a much better person by driving one. However they can make Ghandi take on drinking when they start giving you problems. Especially the electrics. I hate my car. Thats why I own 3 of them. No wonder they name them after women! No. Really. They are truly great cars. I can't imagine living without one.

·
Registered
325 Posts
However they can make Ghandi take on drinking when they start giving you problems.

How true! I agree about the smiles. I often pour a glass of wine and go in the garage and just look at them.

·
Premium Member
15,850 Posts
to quote someone, lol:

Nick, run! Run away! don't look back. I have been driving Alfas since (not long after) I got my first driver's license back in 1959. It's a drug stronger than opium. Few things will put a smile on your face than an Alfa Romeo driving down the track at full song. The engine sounds like a concert written by angels. You are just a much better person by driving one. However they can make Ghandi take on drinking when they start giving you problems. Especially the electrics. I hate my car. Thats why I own 3 of them. No wonder they name them after women! No. Really. They are truly great cars. I can't imagine living without one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How bout the '91 164s on ebay that ends tomorrow? Will a broken timing belt require a completely new engine, or an engine-in rebuild?
I may easily get blinded by lust; someone get the pitcher of ice water!
I hope one of you gets it, so I can follow along and find out what all had to be done to it.
The car is BEAUtiful. Sigh....

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
How bout the '91 164s on ebay that ends tomorrow? Will a broken timing belt require a completely new engine, or an engine-in rebuild?
I may easily get blinded by lust; someone get the pitcher of ice water!
I hope one of you gets it, so I can follow along and find out what all had to be done to it.
The car is BEAUtiful. Sigh....
I think that one sold for $3500. If it were on the west coast I may have bought it myself.

If i were to start from scratch knowing what I know now I would probably get a Spider first. Since you can turn a wrench why not start with the basic top down version that are oh so fun to toss around? The transaxle cars are super fun to drive but get a bit more complex and the 164's with the transverse engines can be a major pain. Having said that I've owned 3 of those ;)

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
Go Alfa and you'll never go back! The alternatives are boring, ill handling or constant problems. Follow your heart this time and you will be immensly satisfied.

Just make sure you can afford it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for advice. I AM looking for a consensus on what is the best first car. There seems to be more Spiders around than any other. Recommend any particular model year, or engine?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome!

So, you may be interested in a Milano project?
I have been offered one opinion that a Spider may be a good place to start. They seem to be more common. Like most folks, I am financially limited at this time, so I am just doing research and getting a feel for the hobby.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,491 Posts
Cheapest way to get a good Spider is to get an '82-'90. They're reasonably cheap and easy to work on, parts availability is good, and they have modern fuel injection.

Would not recommend starting with a Milano or a 164. While good cars, they're more complicated (and expensive) to maintain.

Rust is the main thing to look out for on Spiders. After that, leaky head gasket, but that's not too bad to fix. Tops are surprisingly expensive and difficult to install well so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I would recommend a Spider, as well. Lots of car for the money and easy to work on. For inspiration, you must listen to the Song of the Alfa. This one is in particularly good voice!

·
Premium Member
15,850 Posts
That's pretty nice. Different than the 6's.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts