Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the week of Memorial Day?

This is just an idea that came up, mostly because the hotel offered us a totally unbelievable deal on the room prices in 2016 if we could schedule on Memorial Day week.

The big problem with that of course is that school is not out by then in many places.

But it was such a deal our convention pursuit team thought we should throw that idea out and get some feedback on it. In the end, this bid will probably be for a deep summer convention as usual. But it may be something to look at in the future, as the room deals that week save attendees some SERIOUS coin in hotel stay costs.

What do y'all think? Late May AROC Convention? The floor is open for debate:

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Convention on Memorial Day

This is just an idea that came up, mostly because the hotel offered us a totally unbelievable deal on the room prices in 2016 if we could schedule on Memorial Day week.

The big problem with that of course is that school is not out by then in many places.

But it was such a deal our convention pursuit team thought we should throw that idea out and get some feedback on it. In the end, this bid will probably be for a deep summer convention as usual. But it may be something to look at in the future, as the room deals that week save attendees some SERIOUS coin in hotel stay costs.

What do y'all think? Late May AROC Convention? The floor is open for debate:
Larry,

I would check with Dave Hammond or the AROC Board of Directors. I know that certain holiday weekends have been written into the convention rules as not allowed because of previous catastrophes; one of them is July 4th weekend, I don't know if the Memorial Day weekend is also.

It would be a no go weekend for me as far as a daughter still in school with finals around that time and other personal commitments that fall that weekend every year.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think Tom already talked to Dave. And to be clear, we are not pursuing an early date.

Our purpose is to just get some feedback and thoughts on the subject. The total bill for hotel both for the convention services and room rates in late May came in about 1/3 off the summertime rates.

One thing I thought about is that it could be an important consideration that might make regional meetings and other smaller gatherings more viable if costs could be reduced significantly.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
AROC Convention on Memorial Day Weekend

I think Tom already talked to Dave. And to be clear, we are not pursuing an early date.

Our purpose is to just get some feedback and thoughts on the subject. The total bill for hotel both for the convention services and room rates in late May came in about 1/3 off the summertime rates.

One thing I thought about is that it could be an important consideration that might make regional meetings and other smaller gatherings more viable if costs could be reduced significantly.
Personally, I think anything planned over a holiday weekend could be a mistake, Memorial Day weekend is the Indy 500 also along with school issues.

According to the Policies and Procedures manual, both the 2008 & 2009 editions, the only specifically listed weekend for not having a convention is July 4th. That rule was made after a disastrous July 4th convention. I would hate to be the chapter that selected Memorial Day weekend and bear the brunt of both a failed convention and another rule of an additional excluded weekend. What a way to be remembered.

For anyone who cares, the 2008 Policies and Procedure Manual is available on-line by Googling and the 2009 Policies and Procedure Manual is available on the AROC website under library. The rule is on page 15, item #13 in both manuals.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Getting this back on track... the week of, as in FOLLOWING, Memorial Day. I don't remember suggesting a convention over Memorial Day. I've been out of the newspaper business a long time, but I should have remembered that headlines are an effective way to mislead people. Even if unintentional.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts