Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All questions regarding the "AUTOCROSS EVENT" should be posted on this thread. For specific question, the contact person / Chair will be:

Don Brubaker: [email protected]

·
Premium Member
3,740 Posts
Hi Don,

The autocross thread is kinda quiet, so I will ask the first question; do you know if the group from the Detroit AROC chapter will be doing the autocross for CAROC?

All questions regarding the "AUTOCROSS EVENT" should be posted on this thread. For specific question, the contact person / Chair will be:

Don Brubaker: [email protected]

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
Thanks for the reminder, I do have a few questions:
Is a roll bar required for the convention AutoX event? Any other special requirements? Is pre-registration required for entering the event?

Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reminder, I do have a few questions:
Is a roll bar required for the convention AutoX event? Any other special requirements? Is pre-registration required for entering the event?

Thanks, Bill

In regards to Registration, "pre-registration" is mandatory to enter any Events, including those you need not pay for.;)

I'll let Don answer the "roll bar requirements".

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I'm not Don :), and don't mean to speak for him, so I'm just trying to be helpful and point Bill in the right direction. Roll bars are not required for the autocross, although they are recommended for open cars. You do need to wear a helmet (don't know if they will have "loaner" helmets at the convention), and your car is inspected to verify that it is in good working order (wheels not loose, battery properly secured, positive battery terminal covered, etc., etc.). All info is actually nicely described and requirements specified in the AROC Competition Code. The Manual is on the AROC web site.

Best regards,

·
Registered
82 Posts
Autocross Information

The following information will also appear in the Owner in a few weeks.

For the Autocross event at the national Alfa Romeo Owners Club 2008 convention, we will be using the parking lot at the Odeum Expo Center in Villa Park, IL, roughly 7 miles/ 15 minutes from the hotel. To see a limited view of the parking lot, go to odeumexpo.com and then click on the “Photos” option. Within that, go to “Outdoor Events” to see some photos of a Porsche SUV event held in the lot. There are no light poles, storm drains, or major curbs to pose hazards for the competitors. The parking lot was re-surfaced within the past two years. We expect a clean, good surface for the event.

The event will be similar in structure to the most recent event at the 2007 convention in Detroit. To that end, we will be using the National Competition rules for classification of cars, and determining classes. Participants are strongly encouraged to at least review those rules prior to asking questions that are clearly answered in the rules. We may or may not have “loaner” helmets available, so we suggest competitors bring their own. We will also be using some of the proven procedures of the Detroit chapter to expedite runs. Three lines leading to the Start line will allow competitors with “hot” tires to immediately cycle back unto the circuit, while those with prior runs or awaiting their first run will be released on an “as available” basis. Our course will be designed to yield times of roughly 45 seconds and two cars on-course simultaneously. We expect to begin putting cars on-course no later than 9:00AM and finish by 1:00PM.

We are fortunate to have available as technical inspectors at least two veteran and highly regarded Alfa mechanics, Mike Besic of Besic Motorsports and Al Promisco of Italia Automobili. They will undoubtedly be very thorough and will eliminate any questionable cars, thereby enhancing the safety of all involved. If you have any questions as to the preparation of your car or it’s ability to pass tech, please contact us after you receive our e-mail packet with Autocross information and forms. We will be allowing those competing in the Time Trial event to pass through Autocross tech with minimal inspection. We will also provide tech inspections on both the Wednesday and Thursday nights in the hotel parking lot. These procedures should allow us to minimize the number of tech inspections on the Friday morning of the event, and thereby expedite registration and allow participants quick access to the course.

Our focus throughout this event will be to have fun. We hope to allow up to 5 runs (depending upon the time needed to complete the course) each for up to 60 cars, with all participants having an enjoyable and safe event. A course map will be made available roughly two weeks prior to the event, and participants will be allowed to walk the course the morning of the event prior to 8:30.

·
Premium Member
3,740 Posts
Hi Don,

The CAROC concept of creating threads for different convention venues is great!. Thanks for the autocross information. The Odeum Center looks like a great site. It is the image below, right?

Course maps are a great idea; while there are some of us who autocross on a regular basis, some Alfa owners only do this once a year and will appreciate the maps (of course, there is no substitute for plenty of course walks before running). Also, having course maps for everyone offers a great opportunity to insert sponsor logos.

With the apparent site size, 45 second course, and course design available in advance, it appears you might be able to entice some of the race cars to enter if they see a relatively open course.

We run lots of SCCA autocrosses, and they have recently reaffirmed the importance of event safety, especially at finishes. I have a SCCA Solo Safety Steward license and can offer some good material on the topic if you are interested.

And, your last statement says it all...

...Our focus throughout this event will be to have fun...

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Autocross location

George,
I would be most interested in talking with you about the autocross event.
Contact me off-list at [email protected], so we can exchange phone numbers.

The area north of the building is the area available to us. The area east of the building will be used for parking and we have to be a little careful not to interfere with the parking for those people working in the building. The picture you have was an old picture taken prior to the resurfacing. Almost the entire north lot was resurfaced. Truck parked along the east edge will not be there on the day of the event. A 4'-6' earthen berm exists on the west edge of the lot, with a small grassy area between the berm and the lot. The entry north of the building from Villa Ave. will be closed, so access will only be from the south entry. One of our prime considerations in designing the course will be division of the course into two separate major sections that allow us to have two cars on course with no interference. Once the snow clears (MAYBE by JUNE!), we will be doing another site survey with the other people involved in designing the course to evaluate our options. I have already visited the site twice to check out the surface, size,and possible hazards.

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
Thanks for the info. I will look into it and see where I stand and how competative I could be.

Sure would hate to miss a chance to open an original can o' Whoop *** on those upity Kentucky boys...;)

·
Premium Member
3,740 Posts
Bill,

Don't confuse me with my uppity KY Alfa autocross friends. If those two find this thread, they will highjack it with threats, outrageous claims, and insults to certain Spider owners from Nebraska and New Jersey.

If you want to consider entering the convention autocross, go for it. Basically, all you really need is more air in your tires and a loaner helmet. It's a lot of fun, regardless of where you place. There's a lot of satisfaction from just pushing yourself and your car to the limit (whatever that might be).

Thanks for the info. I will look into it and see where I stand and how competative I could be.

Sure would hate to miss a chance to open an original can o' Whoop *** on those upity Kentucky boys...;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just to bring everyone up to date, we will begin sending out driver's packets via e-mail to those registered for the autocross at the Chicago convention in June. Packets will included maps, a diagram of the course, directions to and from the hotel, description of the event procedures, and short descriptions of amenities in the area of the autocross (Food, fuel, parts, etc.). Please ensure that your registration includes your e-mail address, as we have found in our track events that e-mail allows us to get the information out to everyone together and in a timely fashion. Updates, changes, corrections, etc. are similarly dispatched.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts