1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
Interesting reading and I posted in there. It seems to be more prevalent to the American iron than it is in foreign cars.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Not so. I have knowledge of fakes in the Alfa community.. It's not just VIN numbers cut out.. It might be a WHOLE firewall.. The fakers say if caught .. SO WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL.. Isn't that endemic to our cultural landscape today.? so what if I did it.....so what.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
When my buddy Leonard and I parted out a stepnose GTV a few years ago, we were contacted about cutting out the VIN # from the firewall. I was a little confused by the request, I couldn't imagine that there was enough of a price difference between a true GT Veloce and a gussied up GT Jr. to justify all that trouble but what do I know. We even had the title for the rusted hulk so that would have been a pretty good score. Whatever the guy's motives, it would have resulted in a fraudulent representation at some point so we sent the VIN # along with what was left of the car to the crusher. Kind of a no-brainer for me.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it is pretty hard to fake a post 60s Alfa so as to not to be detected by a Alfa knowlegable inspector. Especially if the paint is off. There would be a need to use spot welds in the correct places, mig buttwelds and brazing in the correct places. Knowledge of stamping locations and font and spacing. Of coarse once the paint is on not so easy. We have a number of fakes iamong the GTAs. Some with very convincing stamped serial numbers.

There is now available in Europe if not else where non destructive imaging techniques to examine for overstepping, wrong weld location as in welding in a serial number. As to fire wall replacement one would look for reconstruction errors.

We have a documented ex Trans Am GTA that had its fire wall replaced without noting the serial number but that crash repair is documented and not hidden at the moment. THE SERIAL NUMBER MAY ONE DAY COME TO LIGHT.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts