Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this car has been parked a long time. it was rear ended while stopped. front damage is nothing to worry about, but the trunk will need a rebuild, new back panel quarter panel etc. also needs new pass door. interior needs to be completely redone.
the pluses,i love this car. its got the star wheels. the suspension was worked over for better handling, befor it was wrecked.
can these body panels be found . what are these cars worth, not that i would ever sell it. just trying to justify the purchase price and effort. never even driven one, but love the way they look. any and all feedback appreciated.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Oh man,were should we start.First,welcome newbie,lots of these questions can be answered by using the search function at the top of the page and spending hours,days, weeks reading other peoples resto threads.Without pictures or additional info such as were you live,what are your bodywork skills like,do you want a project or a driver we cant really help much,so give us more info.Check the parts suppliers list here on the board allmost everything can be had new or used,it can all be fixed if you have the time and money and patience.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im in san dimas ca, i dont need a driver yet. i know it will take a few years, thats ok. i have other drivers. 70 fiat 124 spider, highly modified, havent seen another quite like it. i also have a turbo eclipse that i bought in pieces, its now a driver as well as my silverado. as far as skills go, i have none when it comes to body work, but ive built motors for fiats, vws. fords, acura, the eclipse etc. ive done everything to a car except body and trans work. i enjoy working on cars, i guess its relaxing.the cars about a grand. the pass side trunk is pushed almost all the way in from the rear, wish i had pics. the front pass side has minor damage. other wise everything is there.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've been told that once they're wrecked in the rear, they never really come right because there's not much inherent strength back there - even after being fixed as well as possible they tend to sag later. On the plus side, that's my favorite model and year, and others on the BB probably have more expertise to share when it comes to bodywork than I...

·
Registered
561 Posts
The price sounds about right for a parts/heavy resto,but severe damage on one corner could mean a twisted unibody, scares me.Man you live in california,a much better candidate for resto should be pretty easy to find,looks like you can handle the mechanical stuff no problem.I would pass on this one,or buy it for parts if it has some good stuff left and try and find a nice shell.Nice spider by the way.

·
Registered
79 Posts
S'Rey, Awesome enthusiasm, but this car is beat. Even a GTV with small buckles above the rear wheel wells can have serious structural problems. You mentioned the front end of the car was damaged too? Your target car's unibody is probably a pretzel. This car is a tar baby, will suck you in and beat you up and you'll swear-off Alfas for ever. If you must, don't pay a grand. Charge him a hauling fee.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
That car sounds like one that has poped up on Ebay a few times. Is it red? Is a scrap yard trying to sell it? I can't remember, but the one I'm thinking of had cromadora 5 spokes on it as well. To me it sounds like way to big of a project. There are a pair of 69s that are more or less straight on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-Alfa-GTV-Non-Running-parts-car-LOT-2-cars-L-K_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6783QQihZ013QQitemZ230180860808QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
I think they would be a much better project for the money. One of them is a very early one.

Will

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it has the wheels your talking about, the original owner is trying to sell it.its been sitting there a long time. seen it there a few years ago. what was the guy asking for on ebay? i saw those cars on ebay yesterday. they looked like major projects to me. and they looked like different years. i thought one had two headlights and one had four. they looked rusty, once you start looking under things you usually find more rust, like on this 78 sprint veloce that im parting out. rust killed it.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Ok, different car. Still, repairing a rear end collision is a big task especially on a GTV. Not an easy project. The 2 cars that I posted on ebay are indeed both 69 GTVs. If you look through the classifieds on the site here, you will find them with some different pictures. Yes the yellow one is rusty, but the red one seems to only have surface rust and a serious lack of paint. The good news about rust is that you can get patch panels that allow you to keep the car together. When you start doing major repairs like the whole trunk area is that you really need to know what you are doing, and its always a good idea to have a way to make sure everything is aligned. Don't get me wrong, repairing rust is no easy task, and in many cases with Alfas, its very involved. I'd have to guess that it will still be less involved than building a new trunk however. As far as Alfa rust goes, the pictures on ebay of the red car look pretty good.
For a true gauge of how big of an project you have, send some pictures to Akitaman. He is the Alfa resurrecting wizard who regularly posts to the board. I'd have to guess he has seen it all, and knows how much effort it will be to rebuild it right.

Will

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you said you posted those two cars. are you selling them, or do you mean you just pointed them out

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I am pointing them out. I have no affiliation with them at all. IF they were closer to me, and I had a place to store/work on them, I'd bid on them, but I don't. If I were in your shoes, I think I'd rather work on a car that was somewhat rusty and straight, than a car that is bent and likely rusty in places its bent. I have a mental picture of a crunched car, and the thought makes me cringe. A straight car is always easier to work with than a bent one. Straightening a bent car is a very tough job that requires lots of skill and patience. It looks like you have the mechanical touch to do it, but its harder to do correctly than you might think. I had to take a year long class to learn how to do it.

just my $0.02

Will

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dont get me wrong, i appreciate and respect your opinion. im just a little bummed out because i actully thought i was going to have one of these cars real soon.i never really wanted to deal with body work because i have no knowledge or experience with it. thats why i have the spider i have, got it from the original owener a couple years ago. always garaged and taken care of. but these alfas are a little harder to come by.
i saw one of these cars on the road, it looked like it was falling apart. a really old woman was driving it, i tried to ask her if she wanted to sell it, she looked scared and turned on the next corner.
i think timing has a lot to do with ending up with the right one. i guess ill offer him less and try and use it as a parts car. but i dont think he will do it. someone offered him a grand before me. he turned it down.
by the way, how do i get the little pic to show up on top and not at my sig like everyone else.

·
Registered
561 Posts
You hit the nail right on the head,when you say they are a little harder to come by,but not impossible.Take your time,the hunt can be fun and educational,go look at a few,take one for a drive if you really want to get hooked.Try a WTB post on the alfa bb,if you really want to get the word out.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hah,a 71 just showed up in the bb for sale section,doesnt say the location,but the early bird gets the worm.

·
Registered
79 Posts
by the way, how do i get the little pic to show up on top and not at my sig like everyone else.
Go to "User CP" in top left navigation bar. Click "Edit Signature." Delete the photo and save. Click "Edit Avatar;" add your photo there.

Now that you've got that handled, go take a photo of this car you want to buy and post it. I'm really curious now. There's NO WAY that guy turned down a $1,000 offer for the car, at least as you have described it. He's the one that told you that, correct? OK then, why would he have turned down a $1K offer and then offered it to you for $1K? I may be wrong; your seller may be a straight guy, but post the shot and you will get 3 accurate opinions of its worth within a day.

The GTV's aren't so hard to find that you have to resurrect a mangled parts car. It'll cost you crazy money and time to get that car straight. Take the good advice above and buy a straight car.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'd buy both of those cars on eBay in a heartbeat if I had the space. Some dents, but no apparent major structural issues like you're describing, S'Rey. Note that they are currently bid at $1,800 for 2 cars, with 1 day of bidding left. I think your car's worth $500, without seeing photos.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts