Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the convertible top on my 88 Spider with a EZ On canvas top. The AR manual for replacing the top says to use a "neoprene base contact cement" and they list a Goodyear Pliobond and Weldwood #0105 contact cement. I cannot find either of these, nor do the hardware stores know what a "neoprene base contact cement" is.

Lepage Prestite Blue (solvent based) says not to use on painted surfaces as it will remove the paint (I just cleaned up the rust and repainted the steel bows for the top).

What is the best contact cement to use for the convertible top installation?

Thanks.

Wade

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Dap Weldwood Original Contact Cement has worked on a half dozen or so top installs by our AROC members, including mine.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I think I used the regular hardware store Weldwood yellow stuff. Call EZ On and ask them what they recommend.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dap Weldwood Original Contact Cement has worked on a half dozen or so top installs by our AROC members, including mine.
Thanks Jeff and John,

I checked out the Dap Weldwood Original Contact Cement and it is indeed a neoprene based contact cement. Looks like a few local places should have it as well.

I also called EZ On - they recommend 3m Super 77 but it is only available in a large container.

Wade

·
Administrator
17,507 Posts
I suspect any solvent based contact cement will meet the need. If the label cautions against open flames/smoking that's what you want. Water based contact cements may or may not work OK. Once dry they don't dissolve in water but they may not be as strong as solvent based products.

·
Super Moderator
11,337 Posts
Lepage Prestite Blue (solvent based) says not to use on painted surfaces as it will remove the paint (I just cleaned up the rust and repainted the steel bows for the top).
I think your choice is something that is oil based, strong, and waterproof that will remove paint, OR something that is water based, weak, and dissolves in water that will not remove paint. Your choice, but I would go with the former.

Yes, the paint will get messed up on the bows where the fabric wraps around them and is glued in place. But a) no one is going to see it, and b) the contact cement will serve as a barrier between the metal and moisture.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts