Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it always happens.
Really enjoying the car after I brought it from Germany 2 years ago. Now, something really tasty has come up and I can get it if I can get a good price for my '68.

Any ideas?

For those who have not seen her in person, it is a very original car.
Straight body, repainted once in the correct Rosso Amaranto color. No accident damage.
77k miles.
All original upholstry and carpets in wonderful condition. All rubber seals on doors, etc. are very nice.
Koni red shocks all around.

On the negative side, it could use a new front windshield.
2nd gear syncro is weak and needs a trans support bushing.
Floor pans and trunk are good, but the rockers need replacing (have new, aftermarket ones).
Right rear door / wheel well have typical rust issues.

Was going to drive her for a few years until she needed a repaint and then fix the metal work.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
This is a nice car, honestly presented. I would have stepped up if I hadn't just bought my '70. Nothing hard to fix on this car and, as Randy states, you can just drive it and do the work latter. Very presentable as it sits and unmolested (unlike the one I bought).

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
thanks for the great pics and frank description of the problem areas. i wish everyone selling anything was so honest. the car looks great, especially that overhead shot. good luck with the sale. it's a bit out of my range right now, but maybe if you still have it later... :)

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of your responses! Here are a few more pics to show the condition. The first two are from when I bought her.

I really am looking to get your opinions about a fair market value before I decide to sell.

It is MUCH nicer than the Super in Newport Beach that sold for over $12 k on e-bay!

Randy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
i'm certainly no expert, so i'll leave the price question to someone with way more knowledge about Giulias. all i know is that it's a nice car, tastefully done, and it shouldn't take too much to sell it. i'd love to see what you get for her.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Randy,

I agree that your '68 is significantly nicer than the bright red over gray Super that sold on ebay for $12.5K with repaired rockers. That one still needed a complete paint job and it was also an east coast car (I think he conveniently forgot to mention that in the listing). I still had the link to that one from before the rust removal when it was advertised here on the board for a few thousand dollars and I wouldn't have gone near it without a much more intensive restoration.

My take is that you should get around $15-16K for yours while still being able to sleep at night knowing you represented it honestly. Being more conservative I don't think there is any way it goes for less than $13K (even during the softer winter market) and then up to $17K or maybe a bit more at the top end. I think that a top condition TI/Super in all areas (and I'm not talking about the $55K Super level, but a more practical level for a car that is driven and not just shown) is now solidly over the $20K mark. Depending upon model/year/color the value could be closer to $25K than $20K. For example, when was the last time a top notch "no excuses, no issues" first series all original 1600 Super came on the open market here? If/when it does, I think that will be a $25K car and I may be understating the value. So, that's my rationale for pricing yours in that $15/16K range. It leaves room for someone to make it into one of the best out there without going upside down on the value, plus it's also a really solid driver that presents well right now and will for several years giving someone time to enjoy it as-is.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll miss it if you do sell, but since you have another that as far as originality truly is a once-in-a-lifetime find, the withdrawal symptoms will be minimal. :)

Gary

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
couldn't agree more with Gary. i've been doing a lot of looking, trying to gauge Alfa prices, and Gary is right on the mark. although I'd love to buy the car for $13K, if i had it to spend right now, i think anyone would be well off to get it for $15K or more. depending on how motivated the buyer is and how skilled he is in doing some of the work the car needs himself, he could even go higher.

and the fact that you represented the car so openly will give any buyer the peace of mind that there shouldn't be any bad surprises. good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
141 Posts
This is a nice car that is fairly represented. IMO it should sell for around 13-16k without too much drama. This type of car is hard to find amongst all the BS misrepresentations that you see. Hope your new pursuit is worth parting with this lovely example.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am soon to be selling my 1970 (build 1969) Giulia Super (RHD) in south australia.
I am wondering what the viewers of this thread think it might be worth.
Mine is a very original and extensively rebuilt/refurbished example with very low miles and has the original (rebuilt) 1600 engine and interior.
Internal cavities were extensively fish oiled after it was refurbished and repainted.
It has the original floor carpets and luggage compartment mats fitted and they are in near perfect condition. ( I always kept them covered with protecting floor mats)
I have owned it since 1980 and my family owned it prior to that having bought it from the local Alfa dealer with a few miles on the clock.
The original purchaser bought it, took it home, changed his mind and came back to swap it for a Berlina 1750.
When I bought it in 1980 it had done under 30,000 miles and had been in storage for several years (maybe 4-5) prior to me taking it over.
I have known the vehicle since 1970 (from the showroom onwards) and have owned it directly for the greater part of it's life.
It has done about 80000 now.
It is white with a black.
It has been in storage for an extended time as I no longer live in Australia.
I need to sell it despite the emotional loss as I am rather attached to it.
It has had a very good life and has always been very highly maintained.
An extensive engine rebuild was carried out just before it went into storage.
New pistons and liners were fitted, crank journals were polished, new bearings fitted etc.
Only genuine alfa factory supplied parts were used.
It has previously been fully stripped to bare metal and the body refurbished and re-finished in the original white colour.
It is currently sitting on blocks with a dust cloth over it.
The coolant was drained when it went into storage.
It has an alfa original sump guard fitted, koni shocks and the rear springs have been replaced with a slightly stiffer setting.
The front seats have had alfetta 1.8 seat backs fitted to the original Giulia seat bases to provide a safer alternative with an adjustable head restraint
(The seat backs are inter-changable between this model Giulia Super and the Alfetta 1.8 so the bottom half is still the original Giulia seat).
They have been re-trimmed to correctly match the original.
The outcome is a slightly squarer seat back with a head restraint device fitted.
I looks as though it was built with them and the result is not out of character.
I think the Berlina seat backs were either the same or very similar.
I used a set of backs from a 1.8 Alfetta though.
I have a suspicion that was the seat they used in the Nuova that followed the Giulia Super in later years anyway and sold alongside the Alfetta in some markets.
The Nuova was never sold in Australia though.
I have retained the original backs and they are in perfect unmarked condition.
It also has non original inertia reel seat belts fitted for similar safety reasons.
The original warranty book and owners handbook are in the glovebox.

It looks like a six month old car (seriously).
I miss driving it very much but sadly I am never in the country for long enough to justify putting it back on the road.
I don't want to sell it but I cannot just go on storing the thing for ever.
If anyone would like to give some pricing guide lines I would be most grateful.
Sorry no photo’s yet as I am not in the same city as the car for another week or more.
There is absolutely no rust to be seen and all the window glass is in very good condition including a new windscreen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts