Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Considering Selling My 164 S

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  67GTV 
#1 · (Edited)
I am moving from my house in the San Francisco Bay Area to an apartment building in Santa Monica, so I am considering selling my red 1992 164 S, since I won’t have a garage to work in.

The car has had the following done: New S cams 30K miles ago, adjustable Konis, Weitec lowering springs, braided steel brake lines, new clutch master and slave, new brake master, Mintex pads with 50 percent life left, clutch replaced, custom weighted shift knob with shortened shaft, fresh reaction rod bearing, Magnecore spark plug wires, new motor mounts, all poly front bushings, entire rear suspension replaced last month, brand new radiator and lower and upper hoses, 14 inch high flow electric fan, Cool Control adjustable temperature fan turn on system, five 17 inch Fittipaldi Avus wheels with 215/45/17 Sumitomo HTRZ II tires, K & N air filter, new fuel filter, Bosch Platinum +4 plugs and new fuel filler pipe assembly, cat back Stebro single tip stainless steel exhaust with eight month old custom free flow cat. Timing belt, mechanical detensioner, water pump and all other belts changed every 30K miles. Maintained by Larry Buskirk. The hood, mirrors, rear spoiler and gray lower cladding were repainted. The rest of the paint is in good condition, but has some minor fade. Stoneguard protectors on headlights, fog lamps, hood and mirrors. No stone chips on front of car. I have reams of repair bills for the car beyond the above as well as a clean Carfax. Very fast and solid. Runs extremely well. Originally an Atlanta car, then California, so no salt or winters. Lightweight Noah car cover included. Many parts. Has around 126K miles.

Problem areas- Stepper is bad. I have a complete stepper unit with metal gears for the car, but I do not have the time to do the repair myself. The AC blows cold. I have the DIY Alfa stepper replacement video, parts CD and CarDisc manuals too. Intermittent flashing of the brake warning lights which I traced to a bad sensor wire in one of the front Mintex pads after replacing every sensor and relay in the system. Uses approximately one quart of 20w 50 dino oil every month or sooner if driven very hard. Passes CA smog test.

I’m looking to get $8750 for the car. This is a well-known 164 S in the Bay Area that has been on the green at Concorso Italiano for the last four years. Contact me at richlasner@attbi.com or rlasner@line6.com, if there is any interest. I can send you jpegs of the car. Prefer local California buyer.

See less See more
#2 ·
OK. I've had several offers to buy my car in the last year, when it wasn't for sale. Now that i'm considering it, the silence is deafening. Anbody out there care to comment on what put them off concerning this car?

#4 ·
I beg to differ ydainS. I sold my Spider on eBay last December without any problems. The reserve was not met in my first auction. I lowered the reserve and it was met in my 2nd at bat. The only hassle was fielding email questions and updating the auction with those answers. Scheduling viewing appointments required some juggling. But this would also be involved with selling a car with another service, be it newspaper or online classifieds.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.