Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm considering the Rota (minilite replica) wheels for my '91 Spider Veloce, just for a change from the stock phone dials. I'm considering the 15' x 7". Would that work? What size tire would you recommend to fit under the Spider without any rubbing issues?

Also, can anyone advise me whether these are decent wheels, your experience with them, from whom to buy, any caveats with them, or any other suggestions?

Any/all advice is appreciated. (Yes, I searched and there's lot of info on the board. Just wondering if there's any new ideas or suggestions).

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
14,000 Posts
I have a set on my Spider. They are good value for $500 or so. One of mine had a manufacturing defect which I corrected rather than go through the hassle of returning it. My tires are 195/60R15 Falken Ziex. The car is lowered and there are no rubbing problems and the speedometer is accurate.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Rota

David, Rota has been around since the 70's. Their wheels have been used in offroad, race and rally applications in the Philippines and other countries.

·
Premium Member
3,619 Posts
I bought mine from Centerline and am very satisfied. When these were first available, it was said the normal Rota 15 x 7 had an issue where the center cap didn't fit over the front Alfa hub and Centerline special ordrered their wheels to assure everything fit. I wore out a set of 205/55x15 tires on these wheels and went back to the stock 195/60x15 size. The larger size rubbed a little when at full lock, and didn't fit in the spare tire well. Also, the Rota wheels are much lighter than the Phone Dial wheels.

I'm considering the Rota (minilite replica) wheels for my '91 Spider Veloce, just for a change from the stock phone dials. I'm considering the 15' x 7". Would that work? What size tire would you recommend to fit under the Spider without any rubbing issues?

Also, can anyone advise me whether these are decent wheels, your experience with them, from whom to buy, any caveats with them, or any other suggestions?....

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^^

Thank you gentlemen.

Any other input or recommendations are welcome.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Nice wheels. I have them too, in 7x15. ET 25 (it is, ET 35 wheels with spacers 10mm).
Good fabrication. I have rota wheels on my racer too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was in the same boat as you and found a lot of conflicting and out-of-date info on these boards and the internet in general regarding the fit of these wheels for an '89 Spider. I finally bought the Rota RB 15x7 wheels on Ebay from seller "aspecwheels". They shipped and arrived quicker than estimated, and fit perfectly without any spacers or modifications.

The only *slight* issue I ran into was, I knew I'd need new lug nuts, and amazon.com's auto section listed a set that they said were compatible. This was not the case. The cone-shaped lugs were not deep enough for these wheels, but my local Discount Tire shop included a set of correct lug nuts with the new tires for an additional $40. Returned the Amazon lugs for a full refund, no problem.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally got the new wheels on my '91 Spider Veloce. I went with the Rota's from aspecwheels on Fleabay. Perfect fit (requires different lug nuts, but they have those too) and they really change the look of the car. Much more "sporty" than the stock phone dial wheels. Very happy with the choice.

I contemplated going with new 205 width tires as the Rota's are 7" wide vs. 6" for the stock wheels, but I stayed with 195's I was using. No fitment issues with 195's.

Thanks for the advice and input from the Board. It was very helpful.

Cheers.
Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts