Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm considering acquiring 1976 Spider its the the 2 litre engine
Are there any major problems with these cars to look for.
Any input that any of you may have would be appreciated.
Thank you
Richard
Hong Kong

·
Registered
700 Posts
1. Rust - behind fenders, in trunk, and in floorpans
2. Mechnical - #2 gear crunch
3. Overall condition. A car that's been driven should have received some maintenance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much, it looks stunning and the owner has replaced shocks and will drive it this week to check it out.
just sold my '89 3.2 Carrera after 5 years of ownership.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,550 Posts
get compression numbers, top condition, new ones will set you back at least 500 installed and that's the lowest. Is it all there? Has it been wrecked and is it straight?
Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's in great condition ....everything works well I have never driven one and will get a PPI done to check compression numbers.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,550 Posts
Have whoever does the inspection check that there is the .019 gap between the throttle arm on the injection pump and the stop on the injection pump when the engine is up to temp. There is a screw on the stop and if it has a plastic button on it to keep from changing the position of the stop screw you have one of the FEW Spica Alfas that hasn't been tampered with, of course assuming it hasn't been converted to carbs and it even has the injection pump. Good luck! Playing devils advocate here... it's easy to hide many sins with cosmetics, not saying that is the case here but take your magnet. It's rare for a 30+ year old car to not have come in contact with something somewhere. Good luck! and if you get it post some photos, we like photos and welcome to the board.

·
Premium Member
14,550 Posts
It looks a lot like my '79. I spent a lot of money to get that Euro look. I assume that it has carburettors - Webers are preferable to Solex and DelOrto because spares and knowledge are more available.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Ask for a cylinder leakage test rather than a compression test....this will reveal so much more. UK 76's are on Solex so I am not sure what you have there. A change to Weber will be a good move!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Hello
Forget the recommendations in posts #6 and #7 - these are for a US sspec fuel injected Spider. The car you are looking at is obviously a RHD Euro version with original equipment carbs. Simpler to maintain, especially so far from the US.

It looks like it has good company.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks Yves, Yes the one im looking at is a RHD Euro version imported into Hong Kong new as far as I can gather ..will not see the car until next week, as the owner has just had it serviced, the deal is that I will borrow it for a week and see how I like it, I have just sold a 3.2 Carrera 1989, it was a real Pain to drive in Hong Kong as I live close to my work about 15 kms and so it never got warmed up properly resulting in timing and other issues so in the end it was hardly ever used for five years. That being said I sold it at a huge profit to an enthusiast.
So I plan to use the 76 Spider as a daily car, not sure about how the air conditioning or lack of will be ...the owner has put in new brakes, and shocks.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Well, you need to know that the Italian tune-up is no fable. If your commute is the same as it was for the Porsche, You'll have the same issues with an Alfa, if not more. These cars like/need to be opened up, full throttle from time to time, more so than your "modern" 911. Consider what the car needs, as much as what you need.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Oil vs air cooled engine

Perhaps something is being lost in translation, but I believe this model Porsche has an air cooled engine with an oil cooler.

Having driven various air cooled cars over the years, the time to warm up to operating temp was similar to water cooled engines.

Therefore it seems to me if you found the 15km drive did not allow your Porsche to get to operating temp in a timely manner, you will have the same issue with the Alfa.

Perhaps the issue is more that time at operating temp is too short before you reach your destination, because the vehicle will likely be at operating temp within 2 km of starting the journey.

Just a thought...

John

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Truth of the matter is, the 911 engines are essentially not AIRcooled, but OILcooled, so your only cooling is done by the OIL, that is why in a 911 (and beetle for that matter) it is essential that you use correct/good oil, and treat the car with care and attention and ,make sure it is warmed out properly before giving it the boot .

1 - 20 of 26 Posts