Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

I heard that Conrero made some cars with a 1750 double ignition with GTA specifications for the rest of the car (like guided rear axle, 1750 frame, alu for doors, hood and trunk).

Do you have some infos about that ? Pics or palmares of races ?

Thank you for your info :)

Chris

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Conrero GTA

Hello Chris,

The French alfaforum contains an add. Here is the information:

voici l'annonce

Moteur GTA 1600 préparation Conrero
Pistons forgés diam. 80mm (1750cc)
Carbus Weber 45 préparés Conrero
Culasse préparée par Conrero
Complet avec l'allumeur spécifique
Entièrement révisé et visible dans la region nantaise (44)

. pour GTA ou TZ...

17.000 euros

Baboon is on this forum too, so he will probably be able to tell us more.

The text tells us that the pistons are 80mm. The stroke of the engine is not mentioned. A "normal" 1600 GTA is 78 x 82. So if this engine has 80mm bore and 82 mm stroke, it will be a 1648 cc. A stroke of 88.5 mm will make it a 1750 cc engine (1779 cc).

We know that some GTA 1900's were developed. But Conrero 1750 with twin plug ignition? Everything is possible so I am curious what others think of this.

More information:

Have a look at this: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/695643-post1.html

This is what I found on racingsportscars but it could have been a typo. alfa romeo 1750 GTA - Complete Archive - Racing Sports Cars

And here is a clip of a "Conrero 1750" not mentioning twin plug ignition.

Ciao, Olaf

·
Administrator
3,805 Posts
Shades of C'était un Rendez-vous in that you tube clip .......C'était un rendez-vous - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

C'était un rendez-vous - 1976 on Vimeo).

There's a '69 GTA 1300 Junior out here in South Africa with quite an extensive racing history, it's worn a 1750 block with a twin plug head as long as anyone can remember & the block is just stamped "Autodelta" on the raised plinth. Alfa racing was very big here in the '50's to '80's and the Factory gave local racers a lot of help as South Africa was one of only 2 countries outside of Italy to assemble Alfa's.

Ciao
Greig

Attachments

·
Registered
393 Posts
GTAJunior

Hello Greig,

It is possible we are referring to the same vehicle. If yes, then I have known about this vehicle for many years and it does have plenty of racing history in Southern Africa. For the first edition and then the revised edition of ALEGERITTA I submitted photographs of chassis number and general view of the vehicle in a hope of having it included in the publications. On both occasions this vehicle has been omitted from the publication. I am not sure exactly why and I would have to look up the exact wording of the reply but something along the lines of 'no record in the AUTODELTA archives'.

The above publications acknowledge as having received some 'help' regarding the publication from Patrick O'Brien, however I find it difficult to understand how he is not 'aware' of this vehicle in South African Alfa Romeo history.

I would have to check my facts and communications received, however I did attempt to 'rectify' the information contained in the above publications. I also have given the current owner(?) the details for contacting the editors etc.

Carlo

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Pictures?

Hello Greig & Carlo,

Do you have pictures of the mentioned car and the engine?

Here are some of the bore x stroke variants that I have gathered from my documentation.

1750 engine (year ?)
Displacement: 1779 cc
Bore & Stroke: 80,0 x 88,5
4 cylinder with 8 valves
Cylinderhead: GTA head with twin plug ignition and carburettors
Engineblock: 1750 GTV
Performance: 185 HP

1750 engine (year ?)
Displacement: 1779 cc
Bore & Stroke: 80,0 x 88,5
4 cylinder with 8 valves
Cylinderhead: narrow head with twin plug ignition and fuelinjection
Engineblock: 1750 GTV
Performance: 190 HP

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gta-1965-1975/283985-engine-developments-autodelta-1960s-1970s.html

Ciao, Olaf

·
Administrator
3,805 Posts
I only have actual hard copy photo's of the car, I dated it at Hugh Gearing's house, it's a '69 GTA 1300 Junior, was raced for years by (I think) Paolo Piazza-Musso. Hugh's son Patrick now owns the car. Its a full alloy body, but with steel floors. Rivets everywhere. Original GTA magnesium wheels.

I'll dig out the pictures and scan them for you.

Ciao
Greig

1 - 7 of 7 Posts