Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I can say is WOW. I've been aware of Conrad and his shop, mainly through Andrew Waltry's mentions of him in his thread, and came across this short, beautifully produced film tonight. Wonderful, high quality footage of his highly modified SS in the La Carrera Panamericana and on local roads, his thoughts behind the development of the car, his shop, many beautiful sprints and spiders, and a generous amount of the man and his philosophy. Andrew- please congratulate Conrad when you see him next. Really outstanding.

Alfa Romeo Sprint Speciale is a Racing Statement | Petrolicious

Best to all,

Tony

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
Now that is inspirational!!!! Take note of the safety features.. steering column especially.. This car was not "saved" .. it was transformed for one significant purpose. That purpose was achieved in spades. I suppose the same could be said for the other "hotrod"?outlaw but it is just that and doesn't make the statement nor strike a chord this one does to me. Uncle

·
Premium Member
21,694 Posts
Afshin posted it elsewhere on the BB, the shell came out of my backyard after 10+ years sitting, I helped build it along with many others, though I'd say Conrad did 95% of the work. I was on the Carrera crew with a couple others, it was an incredible experience, in all ways.

The bad part of being on the crew is that you're always on the road headed to the next servicio stop, so you never get to see the speed sections. Amazing, like LeMans or Spa or something. The good part is the comraderie, friends, cars, access to Mexico in a way not otherwise possible, getting treated like a hero in the centro festivities every evening, drinking mezcal with the donkey in Zacatecas, etc.
Andrew

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,784 Posts
Fantastic. To be part of something like that is life-enriching. Great job.

·
Premium Member
21,694 Posts
I've spectated at Bonneville a few times, never run. I love it. I also drove my F12 on the salt last summer en route from Chicago. We were there one year Bonnie was supposed to come down from Chicago, but they got held up on something. A red "Spider" was there, a Spider body over a tube frame and Chevy 350. My fave was a Crosley sedan (my dad raced a SuperSport) that maxed out about 83mph.

Andrew

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
I've spectated at Bonneville a few times, never run. I love it. I also drove my F12 on the salt last summer en route from Chicago. We were there one year Bonnie was supposed to come down from Chicago, but they got held up on something. A red "Spider" was there, a Spider body over a tube frame and Chevy 350. My fave was a Crosley sedan (my dad raced a SuperSport) that maxed out about 83mph.

Andrew
Spectating should be on everyone's list.. Only the average person spectates...( I qualify..REALLY)
The players run from Wall Street to circus clowns not in make-up.....None of these folks were "average" except some school teachers I met from NY who bought a VW Rabbit pick-up on the way from NY and were outfitting it for a run in the class. They left NY with a plan to buy something on the way to compete for a world record in class. They had no vehicle to compete until they found the VW in the Midwest. There aren't many places that one can do that.

·
Premium Member
2,784 Posts

Andrew
I really dig that Crosley. I've stood there at the starting line, with the Speed Demon on one side getting ready to go, and the Crosley doing the same at the adjacent starting line. 450 mph on one side, 83 on the other. No other place on earth do you see that.

I've crewed a couple of teams there; it is an annual event for us now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts