Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I am just finishing up on a new engine install in a 86 spider. This project has stretched to 15 years. I have forgotten where two ground connections connect in the engine compartment, need help. One of the grounds is the think black cable on the passenger side down low near the starter? Does this go to the starter and if so there are two mounting posts, does it go high or low? I don’t see a polarity mark on the posts. Second ground is a thin braided cable about 9” long that should connect as I remember on top of the valve cover? I’ve looked in the books but can’t find a pic.

·
Administrator
18,196 Posts
Hello, Tom, welcome to the AlfaBB. Do you know about our unwritten rule regarding photos? We like photos - you should post some to avoid violating our photo rule...

Your memory is close. One gang of ground wires (black insulation) attaches to the right rear of the block. The other attaches under one of the bolts for the Aux Air Valve (AAV) on the cam cover. I moved the one from the cam cover to the same location as the first set. This makes one less bolt I need to remove when taking off the cam cover.

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
There is also a ground to the body down near the starter that I know connects to the bellhousing somewhere but do not believe it is on a starter bolt but my brain is not recalling right now

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry to break the photo rule on my first post……..so. I have included three pics that show the braided cable of which I spoke and the heavy cable that comes up from the rear mount battery. This heavy cable is the positive side of the rear mount battery. The other braided strap you mentioned from the car body to the bell housing is installed and a much heavier braid. I do have several other wires attached to the valve cover as shown in pic, these disappear into the wiring harnesses. Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,468 Posts
The cable from the positive side of the battery goes to the starter.

The small braided cable goes between the intake manifold and the air plenum. One end would be attached to one of the nuts holding the intake to the head. The other end goes to one of the bolts holding the bell crank to the air plenum.

·
Administrator
18,196 Posts
Picture of the underside of the intake.

P.S. Tom - it appears your Spider may be red. At least the engine bay has some red visible. But we need more pictures for all the info. How can we be expected to diagnose & clarify electro-mechanical issues when we don't know for sure what color your Spider is painted?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The cable from the positive side of the battery goes to the starter.

The small braided cable goes between the intake manifold and the air plenum. One end would be attached to one of the nuts holding the intake to the head. The other end goes to one of the bolts holding the bell crank to the air plenum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, we’re getting closer. I got the part about the braided wire from the intake manifold and the bell crank , and the large black positive cable going to feed the starter, check. About the starter, right now I have the approx 10 gauge wire on the starter coming from the ignition I would assume. The large black positive cable should be added to that same post as the red ignition wire correct?, and the other post is the ground, it has a short braid leading to the starter case. Picture included.

PS. I am convinced the car was a Friday car, probably right before a strike. The engine bay is red but the rest of the car is black. I was convinced of this when I tried to install the frame stiffeners and the bolt holes were so far off it will require a new re-drilled plate up front to match the bolt holes but that’s another story.🤷‍♂️

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,468 Posts
OK, we’re getting closer. I got the part about the braided wire from the intake manifold and the bell crank , and the large black positive cable going to feed the starter, check. About the starter, right now I have the approx 10 gauge wire on the starter coming from the ignition I would assume. The large black positive cable should be added to that same post as the red ignition wire correct? , and the other post is the ground, it has a short braid leading to the starter case. Picture included.

PS. I am convinced the car was a Friday car, probably right before a strike. The engine bay is red but the rest of the car is black. I was convinced of this when I tried to install the frame stiffeners and the bolt holes were so far off it will require a new re-drilled plate up front to match the bolt holes but that’s another story.🤷‍♂️
Yes. Big black cable to same terminal as the red wire.

The black wire will go to one of the spade terminals on the back of the starter. The original solenoids only had one terminal. The aftermarket ones have 2. Only one will trigger the solenoid when the key is turned.

Don not connect anything to the other spade terminal on the solenoid. Starter is ground by the block through the starter housing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you everyone for the help on this, I read in one of the forums where someone had connected the battery in reverse, terrifying. Dislexia strikes at the worst time. Thank you, will post when I get to turn this
motor over.👍
Tom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for the link for the wiring diagrams. I looked over one of them and they’re great. Very helpful for someone like me that understands basic wiring but not all the symbols. Thanks and I will print these out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts