Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a December 1960 built Giulietta Sprint, it has the higher bulk head where the bonnet catch is but the boot has the chrome airplane type thing onto of the number plate. Every photo of a 1960 model with the lower bulk head has the chrome airplane thing on the boot, see pics ,if you look at a 1961 they have the higher bulk head and the plane square number plate holder? Why has my car was built in Dec 1960, git the higher bulk head but the earlier boot airplane thing??? could be be the cross over point and Alfa used the old boot lid?

·
Administrator
12,587 Posts
Is your boot lid original to the car?

Pete

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know Pete, the number plate looks old and its for the airplane type holder?

·
Administrator
3,813 Posts
There are 5 different bulkheads on Sprints from '54 to '61. From your description you have scuttle #5 with the high domed tops and no data tags. This is correct for '61 onwards. Can you post the chassis number when you reference your car ??

Looking at Sprint builds - 1493*xxxx body numbers through '60 had the #4 scuttle with the recessed scuttle and the black data tags with the aeroplane
Chassis AR155001 onwards had the #5 scuttle and seemingly the chrome numberplate bracket arrived at the same time.

'60 had the aeroplane and '61 had the chrome bracket, but new model launch in manufacturers terms is usually October to November and usually coincided with one of the major motor shows at the time - this is my experience of the modern motor industry, but Earls Court & the Paris Motor Show would have been high points on all manufacturer's calendars in the day

One thing we don't know - is your boot lid original to your car ?? If you look underneath can you see the 4 holes for the chrome bracket ?? If not then check the lower edge of the bottom lip, just on the inside, if you can feel two little round discs brazed in, those are the threaded bosses for the lower corners of the aluminium number plate bracket for the aeroplane bootlid. The '61's no longer needed these.

Try to stick to one thread on your car, you are asking similar questions on multiple threads with no chassis number - make it easier to help you. I'm referencing this thread as you are asking the same questions in different places - Airplane in rear of Sprint

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Greig, thanks really helpful, I think my car was made at a crossover time, December 1960, the chassis number is 156081 but it has the aeroplane and the 5 scuttle but the black data tags ???? Here is a pic of my scuttle I will have a look at the boot lid. Thanks Colin

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,813 Posts
Chassis 156081 is the 1081'th Sprint made with the new 101 chassis numbering - in essence a pure 101

It looks like you are going to a lot of work on your car, whole nose is off, new inner wing panels, scuttle ends, the steering column support has been removed...

I would say your car should have the chrome bracket rather than the aeroplane, Sprint 156110 has the bracket and that's only 29 cars after yours

Aye
Greig

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Greig

From the evidence I have it came with the aeroplane, I would like to see a Giulietta built just before mine?
The rebuild has taken over 1000 hours so far and still needs the front wings, doors and the front panel to be sorted out?

·
Administrator
12,587 Posts
Weren't the boot lids pretty much hand made for each shell, so changing a boot lid would be major work, not just a unbolt and bolt on like on my 1750GTV?
Pete

·
Registered
211 Posts
Here is my boot lid, aeroplane or chrome bracket?
Your car has the number plate housing as in Greig’s post #6, boot lids which have the aero plane fitted have a half moon cut out for the number plate light and don’t have the flat section visible on your picture.
The attached picture is from this thread :

Nick.
9F4308A9-9F0D-4C08-95FA-A997303A3184.jpeg

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought the car in bits so It looks like mine is a replacement boot lid as my bumpers do not have number plate lights and I have the aeroplane part and the original number plate bends round the boot lid. I do not the chrome bracket?

·
Administrator
12,587 Posts
Your car, make it how you want it ... if you can handle Alfisti commenting that it's not 100% correct
Pete

·
Registered
211 Posts
Pete is correct, ultimately it’s your call.
FWIW, I have # 1493 2599 which is 201 cars from the the start of the 10102 run , and it has the ”new” rear end treatment. Production date is 4 October 1960.
If you have not done so yet, you might want to get your build date from the Alfa Romeo Centro Documentazione:

[email protected]

·
Administrator
12,587 Posts
That confirms it, should have the newer rear end

Pete

·
Administrator
3,813 Posts
Here is my boot lid, aeroplane or chrome bracket?
That boot lid got the chrome bracket, no question, it has 4 holes in a square pattern which hold the chrome bracket to the boot lid

As can be seen in the picture below of the blue boot lid, the aeroplane has a cutout as well as 4 holes in a straight line for the aeroplane studs. The 2 holes further down that boot lid should not be there, they are owner/dealer drilled to take the number plate, the correct number plate fitment is top tucks under the aeroplane and the sides and bottom of the plate are held on by an aluminium surround that also tucks up and under the aeroplane at the top ans is fixed by 2 small screws in the corners right at the bottom. https://www.alfastop.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi?prod_code=1CWB176&show=&search_text2=number+plate

Most lids have that flat oval section, but I have seen a few without it.

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Greig, the confusion comes from the fact the I only have the aeroplane part and surround and I think the boot is new. I will have to find the later surround for my boot lid and sell the aeroplane part and surround?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Your picture of 156110 ---- what about the Alfa badge ...…… multicolor instead of black/silver inside a 3-leg ring?

Chassis 156081 is the 1081'th Sprint made with the new 101 chassis numbering - in essence a pure 101

It looks like you are going to a lot of work on your car, whole nose is off, new inner wing panels, scuttle ends, the steering column support has been removed...

I would say your car should have the chrome bracket rather than the aeroplane, Sprint 156110 has the bracket and that's only 29 cars after yours

Aye
Greig

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hi Greig,

We know that the fixing points of the side rear bumpers changed between the first and second series. My picture shows a 101 situation, the hole is at about 6 cm from the wheel arch. This was about 20cm for the first series.

What did Alfa do with those different locations during the transition period when there was an aeroplane to be mounted on a yet second series body ?

Did they use second series side rear bumpers in combination with the first series central rear bumber ?

Hi compact,

You said: “… as my bumpers do not have number plate lights …”

Seen your picture of the rear of your car, It is a second series body yet. I wonder whether first series side bumpers could have been mounted here ?

Are you sure the central bumper is first series ? Maybe it was a second series bumper with some welding done on it in the past to cover the holes for the license plate lights ?

Where on your car is the fixing hole for the side bumper ? At 6 cm from the wheel arch as on my picture or at 20 cm ?

When you are not sure about the originality of the trunk lid, I thought that the type of bumpers could maybe be another approach to determine what kind of license plate lights you should have on your car. Good to know is that the second series chrome license plate bracket was listed in the catalogs simultaneously with the second series bumper.

Maybe Greig knows about possible mixing of first and second series bumper parts for this purpose.

Rgds,

Thierry

1 - 20 of 29 Posts