Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New engine (to me) comes with new basic questions. Seems to me that I have to remove the brake fluid reservoir to get spark plug #6 out on a GTV6. I have the original plug tool that came with the car.

Is this correct, or am I missing something?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,884 Posts
You are missing something. In the GTV6s I owned and the Milano, I can just remove the plug using either the stock tool, or my set of different socket extensions, long and short, I think, which I prefer to use.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
It can be a real PITA the first time but it is definitely doable without removing anything. I find the hardest part is getting the spark plug socket back out once the new plug is in as the socket wants to grip on the plug so pulls out of the short extension.

Kevin

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
My original factory socket tools don't hang onto the plug anyway, so I use a piece of fuel hose on the end of a broken magnetic pickup tool, which I push onto the connector on top of the plug. My Alfa mechanic showed me that idea. He has the hose on the end of a length of wooden dowel. To get the socket in and out I carefully push the reservoir out of the way a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK - just needed to know it is possible to do without removing the reservoir. As long as I know it's possible, I'll get it figured out. Just didn't want to pursue a dead-end.

Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Use the stock tool. Got a bunch of them if you want one. I use those 4 prong grabbers to insert my plugs, but I like the hose approach. I'm gonna try that one. I also grease the threads, make them come out easier the next time.

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate that. I have the stock tool and not having luck with that, though I haven't really tried too hard to wedge it against the reservoir. Will try again tonight…or try with regular sockets/ratchet/extensions and u-joint.

·
Premium Member
15,884 Posts
You do probably have to push a little sideways against the reservoir. It is rubber mounted.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
To remove plug, (since I no longer have the stock tool) I use a short 4" extension (1/4" drive) and a longer one. Remove rubber grommet from the spark socket. Break torque and unscrew all the way. Remove socket which will leave plug in there since there is no longer any "grab". Use one of those "antenna" style tool with big magnet on end to remove spark plug. Reverse action to install. Separate the two extensions. Use short one with grommet re-installed to insert new (or same plug) and after using some anti-seize on threads, hand tighten plug. Install universal joint and longer extension, torque to spec or use proper hand tighten technique for "gasket" style plug. 1/2 turn after seated (German torque - goot-n-tight). ;p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts