Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a big road trip story but after all it is winter here in the North Eastern USA so this four day trip with with my '73 Super (in tow) will have to suffice for now. My apologies in advance as this is not strictly a Alfa Romeo trip!

The super is packed and loaded on the trailer, the truck is loaded too. An unfurnished 5 month condo rental on the shores of Lady Bird Lake await, as does a visit to IKEA! I’m thinking this trip will be one-way for 73 Giulia Super as I have another (’66 super) in CT and I plan to spend the 5 cold CT months each year in Austin. Both the cost of the trailer rental and the work of towing outweigh the storage costs. So, another Super (I think 6 now) will be in the Austin area! Saturday AM (Nov 29th) we set off (Nico, my dog and I) towards warmer weather and great Alfisti buddies in Texas. Several craft brewery stops are planned along the way as these places just keep popping up. Unfortunately due to the trailer I'm restricted to the interstates.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
Waiting . . . . ;) See you the 4th!

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
some great roads around the hill country area, not to mention tons of great food. enjoy!

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Wont be a fun drive, but the destination and new home for the Super will be worth it. Maybe I'll see ya' going the opposite direction since I'll be heading from Nashville to DE Monday (but not in my Giulia TI). Good luck and watch out for the crazies.
Jim

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Day one - Cold Interstate

Total distance: 927.46 km (576.3 mi)
Total time: 12:03:50
Moving time: 11:49:20
Average speed: 76.88 km/h (47.8 mi/h)
Average moving speed: 78.45 km/h (48.7 mi/h)
Max speed: 123.30 km/h (76.6 mi/h)
Average pace: 0:47 min/km (1:15 min/mi)
Average moving pace: 0:46 min/km (1:14 min

I awoke to bitter cold and some interesting ice patterns on the super. After a quick check of the tie down straps Nico and I warmed up the truck for day ones planed 9 hours of driving to our stop outside Roanoke VA. As we drove west in upstate NY we discovered much more snow with much of it flying off the roofs of trucks blasting by us. Turning south through New Jersey the snow lightened but the traffic and insane drivers increased. Going west again now in Pensilvania the sky became dark and light snow blew across the interstate. Several accidents created some delays and traffic. The 9 hour trip eventually became more then 12 – too much for me as towing a trailer in the dark is not much fun and the delays prevented me from stopping at any of the craft breweries I had hoped to see. The rest of the trip has been modified with less miles per day planed.

Welcome to Virgina!

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
Sounds like a ball-buster day. Yuck.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today a shorter trip - 7 hours according to the map - and warmer weather - 50s! So, looking forward to a much more enjoyable drive. I'd much rather be sitting in an Alfa then my truck but Alfa driving will come up soon enough. Yes, the Hill country is also known as Alfa country.

Nico is all set to go

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Looks like you might stay in Nashville on Sunday night. If you're looking for a brew, try Yazoo or Blackstone (good food as well). And the weather is 60's, windy and cloudy, so good driving today. Except for the traffic. Be safe, have fun. Jim

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Love those ice crystals on the hood.

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
We might be seeing each other in Texas !

I am flying out to Dallas on Tuesday and then down to the Austin area on Wed. to meet Bruce and have my first Texas visit !

We can share Super stories !

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
You will be here if Fred makes it!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I'll make it eventually! Lovely super you've got there. See you both in a few days!

Thanks for brewery tips. Unfortunately another dark arrival at the hotel - and the thought of dragging the trailer in the dark to find a brewery is not so great. I'll try tomorrow in the afternoon.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Better views

Total distance: 739.89 km (459.7 mi)
Total time: 9:19:00
Average speed: 79.41 km/h (49.3 mi/h)
Max speed: 122.40 km/h (76.1 mi/h)
Max elevation: 754 m (2474 ft)

After yesterdays longer then expected drive I spent some time changing my destinations and hotel reservations. Rather then the 9 hour (that became 12) drives I’m now shooting for 7 hours per day (that become 9).

It was nice to awake to warmish temps in Roanoke. Interstate 81 heading southwest was the first leg of todays trip. This is a particularly scenic area that includes the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Shenandoah Valley. I’ve driven in this area in both my GTV and Abarth and know how much fun the small roads around here are. This time I was stuck on the interstate but the views were still great.

In Tennessee I turned true west on I40. This road was a long slog with both traffic and hidden police speed traps seeking “donations” on every downhill where I’m finally able to get close to the speed limit.

Signs that I was finally inching towards the “west” were apparent in the form of the road kill – Coyotes crumpled along the shoulders of the interstate. It’s not something I’m used to seeing in the North East. Also, local fashion is quite different. Hunting camouflage pajamas are all the rage at the rest stops and gas stations!

The Giulia super on the trailer behind me gets plenty of attention – cell phone photos from passers in the fast lane and questions at the filling stations. Today I was asked several times “what kind of car is that?” I repeated over and over “Alfa” to a confused look – then understanding “Oh austin healey?”

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Better hurry up, Fred. We had a cold front blow in today. It got really cold this afternoon---down to, oh, 50f or so . . .

Sorry, couldn't resist. :rockon:

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, I felt it out in Arkansas too. But it was way below 50f it was in the mid 30s. To add to the cool temps there was an endless British style grayness with drizzle. The roads were a bit greasy so I was forced to drive a little slower. Fortunately the uphill climbs were over as the landscape became flat.

Total distance: 875.10 km (543.8 mi)
Moving time: 9:43:51
Average speed: 81.80 km/h (50.8 mi/h)
Max elevation: 275 m (903 ft)

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Fred, in addition to La Quinta, all Red Roofs take dogs and their point system will cop you a free stay. For your file. 68F yesterday on Cape Cod and no salt ....yet.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My first nights stay was in a Red Roof. It was much nicer then my memories of Red Roof in the past. I'll have to keep them in mind. 68! Amazing.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
My first nights stay was in a Red Roof. It was much nicer then my memories of Red Roof in the past. I'll have to keep them in mind. 68! Amazing.
Yes they have been on a campaign to recondition and upgrade all their hotels and their website for each location tells you whether or not the hotel you are looking at has been upgraded. 98% have been done to modern standards and Trip Advisor reviews are part of their site to keep you informed.

We traveled for 3 weeks last winter to FL and back and never had a bad experience, save for Ft. Myers which was pretty crappy. The other thing we liked is all the properties had ample space to exercise the "boy", Goose.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
[For your file. 68F yesterday on Cape Cod and no salt ....yet.
I thought you guys were getting hit by a big a Nor'easter? I walked out of my study late last night and the temps here had dropped from shirt-sleeves to doggone cold. Typical Texas weather. Every time it does this I think of the drovers on the Goodnight-Chisom Trail with icicles hanging off their hat brims. No Red Roof Inns back then. Fortunately the bad stuff doesn't stick around long.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts