Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have a condensor located just beneath the voltage regulator on my 101 Sprint. Originally it was wired into the regulator at the F or D terminal, but my wiring diagram does not show it's existence. I am getting close to trying to start this Alfa for the first time in 25 years but I just don't see the purpose of this condensor. Anyone??

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Do You have a Radio?

If you have a radio, it may be to supress the ignition noise on AM. It may not show on the wiring diagram if radios were a dealer installed option.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Condensor

I guess that makes sense. I'll have to see how the radio was wired and then I should know if it should go on the D or F. I wasn't going to put the radio back, I'd much rather hear the Alfa song.:)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Condensor

Thank you, Patrick. The less wires the better I always say. I am presently awaiting the build details from Alfa Romeo Storico on my Sprint. When it arrives I will add it to the registry. Its great reading.

Frank Porreca

·
Registered
9,702 Posts
In essence, the regulator is a relay device that switches off and on. The switching causes power surges (similar to how the ignition works but at much lower voltages). The purpose of the capacitor is to absorb some of the surges from the switching. It not only benefits your radio in the car, but it also extends the life of the regulator contacts (less arcing) and therefore reduces electomagnetic fields (EMF) the car produces and the electromagnetic interference this may cause with any and all electronic devices (from cell phones to iPods to pacemakers for the heart) and nerves in your body and maybe even your brain. So, a good capacitor won't hurt!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Condenser

The condenser that prevents points pitting is mounted directly on the distributor and, of course, should never be removed except for replacement. The condenser on the coil was probably for radio noise suppression. If you do a search on noise suppression you can find a string of notes on that topic, including places where suppression condensers were installed. No place seemed to work, by the way.

Jeffrey

1 - 8 of 8 Posts