Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ALL - where does one find a list of criteria for judging correctness of our chosen "mounts?" Been looking since the Maratona took best in show at ast year's convention concours. Working on 2 86's...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shouldve mentioned Ive combed the AROC site. This describes the standards of comparison. What Im looking for is the standard for the model. For example, at AKC dog shows, there is a published standard for each breed... In our case, specifics like door/rocker trim options between model years, sheet metal gap distances, hood pad, etc...

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Shouldve mentioned Ive combed the AROC site. This describes the standards of comparison. What Im looking for is the standard for the model. For example, at AKC dog shows, there is a published standard for each breed... In our case, specifics like door/rocker trim options between model years, sheet metal gap distances, hood pad, etc...
There really isn't such an 'animal' in existence about the Alfa GTV6 or Alfetta series yet. There are several references which discuss the options and series changes between 1981 and 1986. Most of these can be found here on the BB, on the GTV6.com website and in various books available about Alfas.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I stink Alex is correct about the "Standards" or "Lack Thereof". Sounds like a good idea though. Lets' start developing a "GTV6 Standard" here on the bb for the GTV6. When I bring mine out in a few years, I want every item to be checked for correctness be it Original-ness, Color, Shine, Texture, Smell, or Something else, etc. And no monkey business from the judges either.:mad:

If my bottom is clean and yours is not, I win!!!! :) and I'm not kidding...........:D:D:D:D:D:D

Bud Feigel
Lexington KY.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bud - agree 100%. Mine (1st one - still sorting) has a build code of 10/85. So Immediate question is - this an "85" or "86"

PS - love your pic. I tried to get his n hers creepers, but my wife declined...

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
The manufacture date does not indicate the model year... With a built date of 10/85, I would venture to say that it is a 1986 model. To be sure, check the Safety Standard Certification label that is visible when you open the driver side door. That is the official model year for which the car has been manufactured.

Best regards,

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Enrique - part of the sticker is missing and whats left is unreadable...a great start, eh?

My thoughts on this line of inquiry go directly to market valuation of our chosen rides which is tied directly - aside from other market dynamics outside our control - to prove out what we claim we want to sell and at what price.

More later as I go back to the full time, paying job. ;-)

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the sticker. It can be replaced...

The VIN number will also indicate the model year... I don't have the VIN number breakdown handy, but I know it has been posted on the BB several times. (The title should have the correct model year as well.)

As far as concours literature, I would start with period brochures and any other official Alfa documentation (Owners Manual, parts catalog, shop service manual). Car disc has a lot of this on the CDs that they sell. Then I would advise a long chat with one of the AROC members who is into these models, especially if they have been owners since these cars first came out...

Good to read about the job!

Best regards,

·
Registered
377 Posts
FWIW the VIN "decoding" is ZARAA6695B1000000, ZAR refers I believe to Alfa Romeo, the first letter is the "family" style, A referring to sport sedan, the second letter is product variants, A referring to manual gearbox, 669 referring to 2.5 L GTV6's, the next number refers to model variants (body type, engine type etc.)...

(here's the point) the last letter, B in this example, refers to the model year - A for 1980, B for 1981, C for 1982, D for 1983, E for 1984, F for 1985 and G for 1986.

the next number is the plant where manufactured and then the 6 digits for the sequential serial number.

so what does your VIN think the model year is?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"AA 6695 G" -- so '86. Appreciate the decode; however, these are coupes, right? Now on to the engine and TA serial#s...ideas on these?

·
Registered
377 Posts
you're welcome. the Inspection Specifications - 50 State Version, 1981 Model Year (which was in the glove box of my '81 '6 when I bought it used in 1987, and the source for my prior post) indicates that the engine serial no is a 5 digit sequence, such as for a GTV6: 01911 or maybe 01913, then a space, and then a letter followed by the 5 (or maybe 6) digit sequential serial number.

I speculate (operative word here is speculate) that the letter is the same year code as in the VIN.

as they say... "don't know nuthin' 'bout no" TA's and my source is silent. (do they even have sequential serial numbers or just part numbers?)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts