Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The WI Pres. Bill Hall brought up the idea of creating "Lieutenants" for specific car models or car eras. For example, we have members on this BB such as Andrew Watry who documents the "Berlina" registry. There are other such members that have a specific "IN" regarding contacts and pull with others with the exact same interest. I believe it to be a great idea to have the Conventions organization groups to have a good dialigue with the "Liutenants". This will allow a closer common interest to members that may otherwise not attend a Convention.

If you are interested, please contact me and we can work together with the Concours Chairs and make this Convention a success.

If you have other ideas please post on this thread.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Concours Lieutenants Needed / Watry

The WI Pres. Bill Hall brought up the idea of creating "Lieutenants" for specific car models or car eras. For example, we have members on this BB such as Andrew Watry who documents the "Berlina" registry. There are other such members that have a specific "IN" regarding contacts and pull with others with the exact same interest. I believe it to be a great idea to have the Conventions organization groups to have a good dialigue with the "Liutenants". This will allow a closer common interest to members that may otherwise not attend a Convention.

If you are interested, please contact me and we can work together with the Concours Chairs and make this Convention a success.

If you have other ideas please post on this thread.
Andrew would certainly be an excellent informational contact. I don't know if he's a "convention" kind of guy or not, and as I recall he's not a member of AROC.

Veloce doc keeps one of the other registers; I believe his computer had a major hiccup last time we corresponded or he posted. But, if he's managed to recover he'd also be a good resource for who has what. Not sure about his AROC status either or conventioning habits.

Joost Gompels was doing the irregular whatever newsletter and was tracking those cars.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I cannot speak for Christopher's (velocedoc) Chicago plans, but did drive to the Tulsa convention from CA. He posted yesterday afternoon, so he apparently has fixed his computer issues. You might try contacting him directly.
Alfisto Steve will be there and (of) course is a great resource for 164s.
Andrew came to Seattle for the Potlatch.

(That's all I know that I'm revealing right now.):D

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Concours Lieutenants Needed / Watry et. al.

I cannot speak for Christopher's (velocedoc) Chicago plans, but did drive to the Tulsa convention from CA. He posted yesterday afternoon, so he apparently has fixed his computer issues. You might try contacting him directly.
Alfisto Steve will be there and (of) course is a great resource for 164s.
Andrew came to Seattle for the Potlatch.

(That's all I know that I'm revealing right now.):D
Gordy, you're right I couldn't remember if I last saw Andrew at Potlatch or CI; it was Potlatch; he recognized me, I didn't recognize him. It had been so long since we'd seen each other --- his children were very young the last time we were up in S.F.; I drove the Bavaria home while Pat drove the truck with parts, using walkie-talkies to make traffic breaks for each other and to communicate.

The last I heard from Chris Boles, thanks for linking the avatar and the name for me, he was having to rebuild the register as a result of the hiccup. I'm sure if he reads this, he'll let us know where he is in the process, possibly completed.

I thought Alfisto Steve was still on the fence about coming, depending on work schedules and daughter from a previous post; a great resource regardless of how the fencing shakes out.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gordy, you're right I couldn't remember if I last saw Andrew at Potlatch or CI; it was Potlatch; he recognized me, I didn't recognize him. It had been so long since we'd seen each other --- his children were very young the last time we were up in S.F.; I drove the Bavaria home while Pat drove the truck with parts, using walkie-talkies to make traffic breaks for each other and to communicate.

The last I heard from Chris Boles, thanks for linking the avatar and the name for me, he was having to rebuild the register as a result of the hiccup. I'm sure if he reads this, he'll let us know where he is in the process, possibly completed.

I thought Alfisto Steve was still on the fence about coming, depending on work schedules and daughter from a previous post; a great resource regardless of how the fencing shakes out.
OK guys, let's talk about who I can contact or more important who do you think I should contact. If the person is not an AROC member, that matters little, we can always pay for his or her membership if they are capable to accepting a leadership voice.

What is most important is finding key people who could help direct us in making monumental decisions. I'm not willing to throw fly paper on the wall and wait to see what sticks. We have time (limited of course) to find the right people with the right contacts. For example, I have the National roster and have the ability to contact a variety of car owners, etc.... I don't believe that to be a solution. To make a Convention outstanding, one should find a way to have "Alfisti" that are neither AROC, BBr's or affiliated with other large groups to come out and participate.

From personal experience, I know that the Chicagoland area has at least 2 x's the Alfisti than those registered with AROC. It would be a lost resourse to not capture those people during an event that may not happen for the remainder of a lifetime to some.

Montreal owners tend to know more Montreal owners than most of us, same goes with 1900 owners, etc... Thus far I have received a few good contacts, suggest some more and then we can see where they take us.:confused:

·
Registered
785 Posts
concours

From personal experience, I know that the Chicagoland area has at least 2 x's the Alfisti than those registered with AROC. It would be a lost resourse to not capture those people during an event that may not happen for the remainder of a lifetime to some.
Well said Carm. This also should be viewed as the best way of recruiting NEW members into the club, either local or national.

You know I am trying to get all the 2000/2600 guys there already...will keep you posted.

Haven't heard back from Joost Gompels. Is he on the BB?

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Concours Lietenants Needed

Well said Carm. This also should be viewed as the best way of recruiting NEW members into the club, either local or national.

You know I am trying to get all the 2000/2600 guys there already...will keep you posted.

Haven't heard back from Joost Gompels. Is he on the BB?
Bill,

He's not on the bb that I'm aware of....I have an e-mail address and a phone number if you want to contact me off list. I'm not sure that they're current, though; and I'd have to dig some for a copy of the irregular newsletter to see what additional information that might yield.

The other issue with trying to find the guys that don't belong to an organized group, is not going to be particularly easy. From my experience with Pat in locating some of them, it takes a "personal" approach and they will only see or be approached by certain people who know them. Many of those that own the rarer cars guard their privacy and are very good at it for good reasons. I will say I've been places with Pat that I never expected, nor expect to be able to visit again, as far as the owners of rare cars. In doing the books, many doors were opened for us by some genuinely nice people that normally do not socialize in Alfa circles or attend conventions.

Finding the link to each individual that you are seeking is going to be the lynch pin. I'd suggest drawing up a list of who you're looking for and then trying to figure out who knows who, who knows who that can facilitate communication.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I think you mean linch pin Cheryl.:D I don't think Chicago will attract folks, Alfisti or not, if there's going to be lynching goin' on.:eek:
Thanks, Gordy, only mine!!!! I looked that word up and changed it at least 3 times trying to decide...what I missed the "lynch pin" was 1 of 256,000 and "linch pin" was 1 of 756,000 entries and every spell check program underlines "linch" as incorrect usage. Hey, what do these computers know anyway?

Here's the acceptable lynchpin alternate form from the American Heritage Dictionary:

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.

lynchpin

SYLLABICATION: lynch·pin
PRONUNCIATION: lnchpn
NOUN: Variant of linchpin.

Source: lynchpin. The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.

Let's hope the concours lieutenants and chairman got the correct thought and image even with my use of the alternate spelling, which you consider incorrect, needed a joke line, or thought this was the Changing the Subject within the Thread thread in error.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts