Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to all ! Has anyone tried these connecting rods? They look good but don't give a weight but I'll inquire about that unless anyone knows it already and willing to share. On a somewhat related note I was watching the Engine Masters program on the MotorTrend channel and they were testing different oil pans some with windage trays. They got significant hp increases with an aftermarket pan with a windage tray and delayed the dropoff in oil pressure which as due to oil cavitation (I think). We know the Alfa pans are a work of engineering art and are less susceptible to air in the oil but with a windage tray reducing oil fog there are a few more ponies to be had. I have no empirical data that documents hp increases with the Classic windage tray in my GTV motor but it does run better than anything I've built to date. Granted there are some new things there in addition to the tray but reducing misting in the pan does add to the total. Anyway back to the con rods, anyone used these?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
not myself (I use K1 rods), but I know a few guys who have them in racing engines allready a number of years. Never heard issues with them. 1 thing: I think there may still be sets around that are not made in offset. First version they made had no offset, do not know since when they are made with it.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
The piston link says alfa romeo nord turbo. Are they the same length as the non-turbo con rods?

·
Premium Member
22,971 Posts
I would wonder about the quality at that price. But I don't know anything specific.
In theory windage trays are good but the devil is in the details. Hasselgren and Norman Racing has said they've seen perfectly-decent-seeming windage trays on their dyno that keep the oil away from the pickup rather than at the pickup. So it's not all intuitive. Takes testing.
Andrew

·
Richard Jemison
7,985 Posts
I`ve used these rods in 3 race engines. No issues at all. Cost seem to be in the lower $300.00 range per set of 4. Look identical to the Carrillo H beam . I have a couple of sets still on the shelf and one going into the all out race engine for the GTAm I`m finishing. I had the first sets measured against a new Carrillo H beam. exactly the same.
These are available direct if you look on Amazon or Ebay.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I`ve used these rods in 3 race engines. No issues at all. Cost seem to be in the lower $300.00 range per set of 4. Look identical to the Carrillo H beam . I have a couple of sets still on the shelf and one going into the all out race engine for the GTAm I`m finishing. I had the first sets measured against a new Carrillo H beam. exactly the same.
These are available direct if you look on Amazon or Ebay.
Hi Richard do these rods have the offset on them???
Thank you

·
Premium Member
5,746 Posts
I've never tested them so I can't say with certainty but...

I've used these (Max speed but I'm guessing they come from the same source) on many of my builds. The workmanship is outstanding, everything fits as expected (all mine have the offsets BTW) and weights are dead on. Like RJ said they are identical to Carillo rods - I've got both sitting on my bench.

I've never had an issue in the field but I've only been using them for last few years. No race motors. But for the price which includes the ARP bolts...

As to the windage tray, I saw the tail end of that episode and had to wait for a rebroadcast to get the details. Very impressive. I have a tray going into a build - if I weren't lazy I'd dyno it with and without just to see the impact but, yeah... It won't happen...

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
@gprocket , please post info on windage tray that you are using. Have you use that particular one before?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts