Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I now know without a doubt my rev limiter is kicking in way too soon-5000 RPMs. My top speed tonight was 110mph when it kicked it in during 5th gear. I've had that car up to 135mph before, so for some reason things are not right, anyone have any ideas?

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Y'know, through all of this rev limit stuff I've been having this nagging thought at the back of my head:

1) is your timing set correctly

2) is your cap and rotor set properly on the dizzy so there's no twist/torsion/vibration?

I keep thinking the 1st due to the way Motronic controls ignition advance (it might be off enough where it 'thinks' it's out of range and interrupts the spark) or that there's something goofy with items in #2 where they start to unseat or get out of whack at higher rpms and again interrupt spark.

Could you describe what it acts like when it reaches it's limit? (I don't know what it 'should' be like, so details may be of use to those that do)

a) does it jolt violently like something just broke?

b) does it just start missing horribly

c) is it sort of a soft 'ok, I'm not going to rev any higher but could stay right here for a while' type reaction?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Y'know, through all of this rev limit stuff I've been having this nagging thought at the back of my head:

1) is your timing set correctly

2) is your cap and rotor set properly on the dizzy so there's no twist/torsion/vibration?

I keep thinking the 1st due to the way Motronic controls ignition advance (it might be off enough where it 'thinks' it's out of range and interrupts the spark) or that there's something goofy with items in #2 where they start to unseat or get out of whack at higher rpms and again interrupt spark.

Could you describe what it acts like when it reaches it's limit? (I don't know what it 'should' be like, so details may be of use to those that do)

a) does it jolt violently like something just broke?

b) does it just start missing horribly

c) is it sort of a soft 'ok, I'm not going to rev any higher but could stay right here for a while' type reaction?
Cap and rotor are new and presumably working just fine, the fact that this happens just as hits 5K in any gear is the thought process I have. As far as how it acts: It acts as though cylinders are not being fired randomly, much as my camaro does when it hits 7K and the MSD ignition box kicks in, limiting the rev potential...

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They may be new and working fine, but are they seated on the dizzy just right I guess is what I'm axing.
I believe they only go on one way, square and peg thing at the bottom of the cap to keep it from going else where...etc...

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Latches good and tight?

Center thingie in the cap free moving and having decent spring action?

Put a drop of oil in the felt in the center of the shaft under the rotor lately so the dizzy bushes get a little lube? (I had one go dry and the shaft was buzzing all over the place and making the rotor go mad)

BTW, not trying to say it's the ignition or dizzy causing the issue, just trying to eliminate it as a potential candidate. (like I said, one of those nagging thoughts)

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Latches good and tight?

Center thingie in the cap free moving and having decent spring action?

Put a drop of oil in the felt in the center of the shaft under the rotor lately so the dizzy bushes get a little lube? (I had one go dry and the shaft was buzzing all over the place and making the rotor go mad)

BTW, not trying to say it's the ignition or dizzy causing the issue, just trying to eliminate it as a potential candidate. (like I said, one of those nagging thoughts)
There is no felt under the rotor, it is a pointless set up.

·
Registered
532 Posts
OK, so I now know without a doubt my rev limiter is kicking in way too soon-5000 RPMs. My top speed tonight was 110mph when it kicked it in during 5th gear. I've had that car up to 135mph before, so for some reason things are not right, anyone have any ideas?
Your Spider never went 135. Why do you post such crap?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your Spider never went 135. Why do you post such crap?
Oh really???!!! Sorry bud, but yes, it has been at 135, my speedo is mathematically correct being set at 140 with a 6K redline on the dash. What the hell is wrong with all of you people???!!! Oh, its the G meter it is this, that can't ever happen in an Alfa, an Alfa is just a piece of crap car it could never do that-You all should be very, very ashamed of yourselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We could settle this the old fashion way. Call my boy and ask him if we didn't do 135mph in that car last year as that was the highlight of his before school, end of summer break, also ask my fiance' if we didn't just do 110 mph with no sweat before the rev limiter kicked in tonight!!!!!! 513-769-1386

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe he means an indicated 135 on the known to be 15-20 mph high speedo, downhill, w/ a 50kt tailwind??
50kt tailwind and you claim to be american...Hmmm, I'm seeing a pattern here! My speedometer is on the dot, thanks to John M biatch!

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now the peanut gallery sits back with their calculators trying to figure this one out, with all their money and overpaid mechanics they wonder, "why won't mine do that", not realizing, I am my own mechanic, I've built RACING engines for the past 21 years (anything slower than 9 seconds on the 1/4 mile is NOT a racing engine). You all seem to have more money than balls or common sense!

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tifosi, just pm me any other related info you may have as it is obvious there are sleepers on this board (anyone who talks in metrics for speed but claims to be an american-has to be a "sleeper"). Considering they all live so close together just confirms that theory as welll.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Call my boy and ask him if we didn't do 135mph in that car last year
you had your son in the car with you at that speed on public roads ? can you say "child endangerment" ?

ask my fiance' if we didn't just do 110 mph with no sweat before the rev limiter kicked in tonight!!!!!! 513-769-1386
wow, giving away your fiance's phone number on a public forum . . .

anything slower than 9 seconds on the 1/4 mile is NOT a racing engine
well, obviously! only pro-stock drag cars are racing cars :rolleyes:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Tifosi, just pm me any other related info you may have as it is obvious there are sleepers on this board (anyone who talks in metrics for speed but claims to be an american-has to be a "sleeper"). Considering they all live so close together just confirms that theory as welll.
Ok, I'm going to warily lift my head above the parapet here. I don't care how fast your car goes, but if you're going to abuse someone at least get your facts right.

Your man wrote 50kt tailwind. kt is an acknowledged abbreviation for knot, or nautical miles/hour (nothing to do with kilometres). Perhaps he's an american who likes to go sailing, or a weatherman?

Head now fully back below parapet.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hmmm... not meaning to get things back on track or anything (-;
but... I second the cap and rotor thing... believe it or not... it "can" (at least in my case) go on wrong... I did mine wrong and would have sworn was A-ok... but had similar issue you have... then finally after lots of coaxing took it apart again and lo and behold, there was a line (if I recall correctly) that helps you ensure the cap is correct etc... long story short... I re-did the cap/rotor and revs are way back up again... might just want to double check?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts